What does it mean to find eigenvectors of some operator in some basis?

In summary: If so, can I use Lz's eigenvectors to form a matrix (says S), and then use the similarity transformation on Lx (with S) to diagonalize Lx? I don't how if this works!?If you solve the secular equation for Lx, you get the eigenvalues and eigenvectors in the Lx basis. Then, you can use the similarity transformation on Lx to diagonalize Lx.
KFC
I am studying QM by myself. I got a quite confusing problem which annoying me for a certain time. Well, this question is about the angular momentum opeator Lx, Ly and Lz. The matrix form for these operatore are given, so by solving the corresponding secular equation, it is easy to find the corresponding eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Here, Lz is given in a diagonalized form, so one can directly obtain the eigenvalues by reading the diagonal elements. Let's say the eigenvalues for Lz is a, b and c. And the corresponding eigenvector are

[tex]
\left(
\begin{matrix}
1 \\ 0 \\ 0
\end{matrix}
\right), \qquad
\left(
\begin{matrix}
0 \\ 1 \\ 0
\end{matrix}
\right),\qquad
\left(
\begin{matrix}
0 \\ 0 \\ 1
\end{matrix}
\right)
[/tex]

But I got a question "To find the eigenvectors of Lx in the Lz basis", I have no idea what does it mean? Since we already know the form of Lx operator, what can't we just solve the secular equation to find the eigenvectors? What is the significance of written the eigenvectors of Lx in Lz basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
KFC said:
I am studying QM by myself. I got a quite confusing problem which annoying me for a certain time. Well, this question is about the angular momentum opeator Lx, Ly and Lz. The matrix form for these operatore are given, so by solving the corresponding secular equation, it is easy to find the corresponding eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Here, Lz is given in a diagonalized form, so one can directly obtain the eigenvalues by reading the diagonal elements. Let's say the eigenvalues for Lz is a, b and c. And the corresponding eigenvector are

[tex]
\left(
\begin{matrix}
1 \\ 0 \\ 0
\end{matrix}
\right), \qquad
\left(
\begin{matrix}
0 \\ 1 \\ 0
\end{matrix}
\right),\qquad
\left(
\begin{matrix}
0 \\ 0 \\ 1
\end{matrix}
\right)
[/tex]

But I got a question "To find the eigenvectors of Lx in the Lz basis", I have no idea what does it mean? Since we already know the form of Lx operator, what can't we just solve the secular equation to find the eigenvectors? What is the significance of written the eigenvectors of Lx in Lz basis?

The matrices you are given are already in the Lz basis. Everything you are doing is "in the Lz basis". When you find the eigenvectors of Lx you will be finding those eigenvectors "in the Lz basis".

olgranpappy said:
The matrices you are given are already in the Lz basis. Everything you are doing is "in the Lz basis". When you find the eigenvectors of Lx you will be finding those eigenvectors "in the Lz basis".

Why? How do you tell that? Still confusing ...

What about this, if it gives me Lx, Ly and Lz and all of them are not diagonalized matrices. This time, I need to find the eigenvectors of Ly in Lx basis, how can I do that? Sorry, I am not majoring in physics. But I do interest in it so I am learning by myself.

Last edited:
You find the eigen-values and eigen-vectors for the [tex] L_x[/tex] and [tex] L_y[/tex] then see how they can be written in terms of the [tex] L_z [/tex] eigen-vectors.

Dr Transport said:
You find the eigen-values and eigen-vectors for the [tex] L_x[/tex] and [tex] L_y[/tex] then see how they can be written in terms of the [tex] L_z [/tex] eigen-vectors.

Oh, I got it. That is, we use the usual way to find the eigenvectors and then EXPAND it with those of Lz, is that right?

Thanks

KFC said:
Oh, I got it. That is, we use the usual way to find the eigenvectors and then EXPAND it with those of Lz, is that right?

Thanks

Exactly...

Equivalently, an operator A is represented by a diagonal matrix in the "A basis".

Avodyne said:
Equivalently, an operator A is represented by a diagonal matrix in the "A basis".

So, it means if I solve the secular equation for Lx to find the corresponding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, I actually diagonalize it with a matrix composing of Lx's eigenvectors?

If so, can I use Lz's eigenvectors to form a matrix (says S), and then use the similarity transformation on Lx (with S) to diagonalize Lx? I don't how if this works!?

What are eigenvectors and why are they important?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by a linear transformation, such as an operator. They are important because they allow us to simplify complex mathematical problems and understand the behavior of a system.

What is an operator and how does it relate to eigenvectors?

An operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another. It can be represented by a matrix and when applied to an eigenvector, the resulting vector is a scalar multiple of the original eigenvector. This scalar multiple is known as the eigenvalue.

What is the significance of finding eigenvectors in a specific basis?

Each vector space can have multiple bases, and the eigenvectors of an operator can be different depending on the basis chosen. Therefore, finding eigenvectors in a specific basis allows us to understand the behavior of the operator in that particular basis.

How do I find the eigenvectors of an operator in a given basis?

To find the eigenvectors of an operator in a given basis, you can set up and solve a system of linear equations. The eigenvectors will be the solutions to the system, with the corresponding eigenvalues as the scalars.

What are some applications of finding eigenvectors in a specific basis?

Finding eigenvectors in a specific basis has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve differential equations, analyze data and images, and understand the behavior of complex systems.