What does it mean to quantize a field

• Thread starter copernicus1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Mean
In summary, textbooks usually have a "prescription" for quantizing a field theory, which involves promoting fields to operators and imposing commutation relations. This essentially means taking a classical continuous field and giving it a discrete particle description. The main difference between classical and quantized fields lies in the fact that a quantum field theory has a state vector in a Fock space, rather than a Hilbert space. To get an intuition of this, think of quantizing a particle and transferring it to a field, where each field configuration has a probability amplitude. This is done by defining a wave function using operators and imposing commutation rules on the field. Further reading on this topic is recommended, such as chapter 3 of Bob Klauber's intro
copernicus1
Textbooks I've looked into usually follow a sort of "prescription" for quantizing a field theory, which consists of "promoting the fields to operators" and "imposing commutation relations." Is there an English translation of what this means? Like for instance, is this tantamount to taking the classical continuous field and endowing it with a "quantum"---that is, a discrete particle description? Is that the main difference between the classical and quantized fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
copernicus1 said:
Like for instance, is this tantamount to taking the classical continuous field and endowing it with a "quantum"---that is, a discrete particle description?

Yes - bear in mind that like any quantum theory, a quantum field theory has a state vector, although because the number of particles is not fixed, this state vector belongs in a Fock space rather than a Hilbert space. For a non-interacting theory, the particle number operator commutes with the Hamiltonian, so energy eigenstates are particle-number eigenstates. The vacuum state (i.e. lowest-energy eigenstate of the Hamiltonian) is also a state with no particles. States with a definite number of particles are produced by acting on the vacuum state with creation operators, which are derived from the field operators.

Is this helpful, or am i just repeating what the textbooks are saying?

Likes 1 person
@copernicus
To get an intuition of what "quantizing a field" should mean, think about what "quantizing a particle" actually means: It means (among other things) that you cannot say that the particle is at a position x, but rather that there is a probability amplitude for it to be at a position x.
Transferring this to a field, you see that a classical field has a certain value of the field at each point in spacetime. Quantizing this then implies that instead you have a probablity amplitude for each field configuration.

The trouble is that this means to define a kind of wave function that takes a function as an argument (since each field configuration is in itself a function). That's pretty awkward mathematically (although it can be done).

This it is more convenient to copy the knowldege from QM that you can rewrite all the wave function stuff using operators, like Heisenberg did. If you impose the commutation rule for space and momentum for a particle, this brings you to the same conclusions as the wave function picture. So you then transfer this method to the fields and impose the commutation rules on the field.

As further reading, I would recommend (although some people hate it due to some idiosyncrasies) to read chapter 3 of bob klaubers intro to QFT.

Likes junfan02 and mpv_plate
Thanks Sonderval, this is pretty helpful. I actually like Klauber's QFT site.

Sonderval said:
@copernicus
As further reading, I would recommend (although some people hate it due to some idiosyncrasies) to read chapter 3 of bob klaubers intro to QFT.

I do not see any problem with this, since the author CLEARLY states what is his own personal take (and often tells you that the "standard" is different".

Nonetheless, this only happens in rare places, like vacuum expectation etc. I am reading the book now and can only recommend it (I have been frustrated by Peskin & Schroeder and others).

Again, I highly recommend Klauber's text.

1. What is the definition of quantization in the context of fields?

In the context of fields, quantization is the process of discretizing a continuous field, such as an electromagnetic or gravitational field, into individual packets of energy called quanta. This is done in order to better understand and describe the behavior of these fields at the quantum level.

2. Why is quantization important in quantum field theory?

Quantization is important in quantum field theory because it allows us to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics with the principles of special relativity. By quantizing fields, we are able to describe the interactions between particles and fields in a way that is consistent with both quantum mechanics and special relativity.

3. How is a field quantized?

A field is quantized by treating it as a collection of harmonic oscillators. These oscillators can have different frequencies and amplitudes, which correspond to different energy levels. The energy levels are then quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. This results in the field being described in terms of individual quanta or particles.

4. What are the implications of quantizing a field?

One of the main implications of quantizing a field is that it leads to the existence of particle-like excitations in the field. These particles, such as photons or gravitons, behave both as waves and particles and can have properties such as energy, momentum, and spin. Quantizing a field also allows for the prediction and explanation of various physical phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect and the scattering of particles.

5. Can all fields be quantized?

While most fields can be quantized, there are some exceptions, such as the classical gravitational field. This is because the theory of general relativity, which describes gravity, is not easily reconciled with the principles of quantum mechanics. However, there are ongoing efforts to develop a theory of quantum gravity that would allow for the quantization of the gravitational field.