Description of imaging through lens using quantized EM field

In summary: Thanks; this gives enough context to discuss the matter. I'll come back to you after having looked more closely at the article.
zxontt
Usually the imaging through lens is described using geometrical optics or wave optics. However, I wish to study some imaging processes through lens where the light intensity is at the single photon level, under which condition I think the correct description should use a quantized electromagnetic (EM) field. To be more specific, I want to investigate the quantum mechanical measurement backaction of detection of single photons (at the image screen) back on the wave function of the atoms (on the object plane) emitting the photons. Are there some textbooks or research papers that gives a description of the imaging process of lens with the electromagnetic field quantized?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zxontt said:
at the single photon level, under which condition I think the correct description should use a quantized electromagnetic (EM) field.
No. You only need to treat the classical intensity as a rate of photon impact in a classical stochastic process.

The quantized field is needed only if you work with nonclassical light sources (squeezed states, parametric down-conversion, etc) , which is not the case for typical imaging processes.

Likes vanhees71
A. Neumaier said:
No. You only need to treat the classical intensity as a rate of photon impact in a classical stochastic process.

The quantized field is needed only if you work with nonclassical light sources (squeezed states, parametric down-conversion, etc) , which is not the case for typical imaging processes.
Sorry for not having been more specific. I fully agree if the intensity is the quantity of interest, classical treatment would suffice. But actually I want to investigate the quantum mechanical measurement backaction of detection of single photons at the image screen back on the wave function of the atoms on the object plane emitting the photons. So is it correct that a description using quantized electromagnetic field will be needed?

zxontt said:
backaction of detection of single photons at the image screen back on the wave function of the atoms on the object plane emitting the photons.
This is a huge, probably untractable multiparticle problem since it is by no means clear which atom is responsible for the emission. I cannot imagine that this can be relvant for imaging purposes. (If you want to waste your time you can look at the book on quantum optics by Mandel and Wolf to see some of what is needed to model what you want.)

A. Neumaier said:
This is a huge, probably untractable multiparticle problem since it is by no means clear which atom is responsible for the emission. I cannot imagine that this can be relvant for imaging purposes. (If you want to waste your time you can look at the book on quantum optics by Mandel and Wolf to see some of what is needed to model what you want.)

Thanks for the recommendation. I am having in mind small bunch of atoms like in ultracold-atom experiments where a very small number of atoms are trapped and observed.

zxontt said:
Thanks for the recommendation. I am having in mind small bunch of atoms like in ultracold-atom experiments where a very small number of atoms are trapped and observed.
Then what does it have to do with imaging?

The atoms in
A. Neumaier said:
Then what does it have to do with imaging?
The atoms in these ultracold experiments are observed by imaging the atoms through a lens so as to determine their position. This is a quite hot topic recently, called quantum gas microscope. For example cf. this paper: Bakr, Waseem S., et al. "A quantum gas microscope for detecting single atoms in a Hubbard-regime optical lattice." Nature 462.7269 (2009): 74-77. But the measurement backaction of imaging is less considered, and up to now never investigated experimentally according to my best knowledge. Though it seems that the technique is already adequate.

zxontt said:
The atoms in

The atoms in these ultracold experiments are observed by imaging the atoms through a lens so as to determine their position. This is a quite hot topic recently, called quantum gas microscope. For example cf. this paper: Bakr, Waseem S., et al. "A quantum gas microscope for detecting single atoms in a Hubbard-regime optical lattice." Nature 462.7269 (2009): 74-77. But the measurement backaction of imaging is less considered, and up to now never investigated experimentally according to my best knowledge. Though it seems that the technique is already adequate.
Thanks; this gives enough context to discuss the matter. I'll come back to you after having looked more closely at the article.

1. How does imaging through a lens using quantized EM field work?

Imaging through a lens using quantized EM field involves using a lens to focus electromagnetic waves, which are made up of quantized energy packets called photons. These photons interact with the lens, causing them to bend and converge at a specific point, creating an image.

2. What is the role of the quantized EM field in imaging through a lens?

The quantized EM field, also known as the electromagnetic field, plays a crucial role in imaging through a lens. The lens interacts with the photons in the EM field, causing them to bend and form an image. Without the quantized EM field, there would be no photons to interact with the lens, and no image would be formed.

3. How is the imaging process affected by the properties of the lens?

The imaging process through a lens is affected by various properties of the lens, such as its curvature, thickness, and refractive index. These properties determine the degree to which the lens can bend and focus the photons, ultimately affecting the quality and clarity of the resulting image.

4. What factors can impact the imaging quality through a lens?

The quality of imaging through a lens can be impacted by several factors, including the properties of the lens, the wavelength of the photons, and any imperfections or distortions in the lens. Other external factors such as lighting and environmental conditions can also affect the imaging quality.

5. Can imaging through a lens using quantized EM field be used for different types of imaging?

Yes, imaging through a lens using quantized EM field can be used for various types of imaging, including photography, microscopy, and medical imaging. The principles of focusing and bending photons through a lens apply to all these different imaging techniques, making it a versatile and widely used method.