1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean when a function is undefined?

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1
    If a function is undefined at (0,0), does that mean the function does not pass through the origin? in general, if the function is undefined at a certain point, is that because it does not pass through that specific point?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi lonewolf219! :smile:
    i don't know what you mean by "pass through" :confused:

functions don't move, they just are

the function is defined on the subspace consisting of the whole space except that point

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3
    Thanks Tiny Tim for answering..

y=x^2

The graph of this function doesn't "pass through" the point (20,0). Am I correct to say the function y=x^2 is undefined at the point (20, 0) because this point does not lay on the curve of the function? Or would you say the function does not exist at that point...

If I understood what you meant, a function is undefined if it is not continuous at that point (like a cusp, or a jump)?

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi lonewolf219! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    ah, i see what you mean

no, the function y = x2 isn't defined on ℝ2, it's only defined on ℝ

y is defined at all values of x, not of (x,y)

(eg y is defined at 0,and the graph goes through (0,0))
    if a function z is undefined at (0,0), that means the graph (a surface) has a hole in above the origin :wink:

6. Mar 9, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to be careful about exactly what a function is. The function y= f(x) maps real numbers to real numbers. It is, or is not, defined for individual real numbers, not pairs of numbers. [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] is defined for all real numbers. The function [itex]f(x)= 1/x^2[/itex] is defined for all x except x= 0 where it is "undefined".

Similarly, [itex]f(x,y)= 1/(x^2+ y^2)[/itex] is a function that maps (x, y), a point in R2, to a real number. It is undefined for (0, 0) and defined for all other (x, y).

7. Mar 9, 2012 #6
    I hope I know what you guys know one day...

you guys are brilliant!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook