1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it take to publish in undergraduate journals?

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    Hello, I'm an undergraduate student who has finished an REU program over the summer.

the project involved using a program (written by some other physicist) to model a vacuum system of a small accelerator.

my mentor mentioned the possibility of publishing a report to a undergraduate journal. However, I'm a bit skeptical as to whether not this is possible.

My project wasn't anything groundbreaking, nor was there any dramatic discovery.
    So, my question here is:

What does it take to publish in an undergraduate journals?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2
    if groundbreaking or dramatic discoveries or revolutionary results were the only things that could be published, most journals would be very thin indeed.

Go ahead and work with your mentor on a paper to submit. Best case, you learn a little about how to write a paper, it gets published and you get a notch for your CV's publication list. Worst case, you learn a little about how to write a paper and what it takes to get it published (reviewer comments can be very valuable and instructive) and can apply it to your next paper.

4. Aug 26, 2007 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Aug 29, 2007 #4
    I suppose you are right... but is there any good sample undergraduate paper that I can take a look at... so to at least take a glimpse of the level of complication of what "my paper" is supposed to me... (preferably online link), if I ever write one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?