What Does 'Jiffy' Mean in Science and Technology?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,458
Reaction score
3,266
I'm watching the History Channel program Modern Marvels "Measure It" and learned there is a unit of measurement called the Jiffy. :smile:
In electronics, a jiffy is the time between alternating current power cycles, 1/60 or 1/50 of a second...

In computing, a jiffy is the duration of one tick of the system timer interrupt.

In astrophysics and quantum physics a jiffy is, as defined by Edward R. Harrison,[5] the time it takes for light to travel one fermi, which is the size of a nucleon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiffy_%28time%29"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So every time I told someone I would be there in a jiffy, I was lying.

Who knew?