Nuclear Science and Technology For doing research in Controlled Nuclear Fusion

In summary, the electrical engineering student is interested in doing research into controlled nuclear fusion and is looking into doing their M.Tech in Nuclear Science and Technology at an Indian Institute of Technology. The student is considering whether or not to attend a school that focuses primarily on nuclear fusion research, or to instead attend a school that has a wider focus.
FrancisClinton
I am interested in doing research in controlled nuclear fusion , i am doing my electrical engineering 4th year in India. Since no college in my country offers post graduation in fusion related fields , i have decided to do M.Tech in Nuclear science and technology in Indian Institute of Technolgy in kanpur, a very good college in India.I want to know whether my decision is right or wrong ?. I have attached the syllabus for this course please go through it and tell your views on this.

Attachments

• Nuclear-Engg. Syllabus.pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,219
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?
I haven't come to any new conclusion yet , but no problem i can for some more days.

FrancisClinton said:
I am interested in doing research in controlled nuclear fusion , i am doing my electrical engineering 4th year in India. Since no college in my country offers post graduation in fusion related fields , i have decided to do M.Tech in Nuclear science and technology in Indian Institute of Technolgy in kanpur, a very good college in India.I want to know whether my decision is right or wrong ?. I have attached the syllabus for this course please go through it and tell your views on this.

Nuclear fusion research is done in a wide range of fields, it's obviously done in physics followed by nuclear engineers, electrical engineers, and mechanical/materials engineers. I would say your decision is a good one but some nuclear departments focus almost exclusively on fission rather than fusion, though there are research areas where the two coincide slightly like neutron detection diagnostics, so it would depend on what your school's emphasis is.

clope023 said:
Nuclear fusion research is done in a wide range of fields, it's obviously done in physics followed by nuclear engineers, electrical engineers, and mechanical/materials engineers. I would say your decision is a good one but some nuclear departments focus almost exclusively on fission rather than fusion, though there are research areas where the two coincide slightly like neutron detection diagnostics, so it would depend on what your school's emphasis is.
Thanks clope023 for replying , can you see the syllabus i have attached for the school i am interested in , can you go through it and tell whether this school will be a good choice for me.

FAQ: Nuclear Science and Technology For doing research in Controlled Nuclear Fusion

1. What is controlled nuclear fusion?

Controlled nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy. This process is the same that powers the sun and other stars. In controlled nuclear fusion, the goal is to create and sustain a self-sustaining fusion reaction in a controlled environment on Earth.

2. Why is controlled nuclear fusion important?

Controlled nuclear fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy. It does not produce greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste, making it a more environmentally-friendly alternative to current energy sources. Additionally, it could help reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and promote energy independence.

3. How does controlled nuclear fusion work?

Controlled nuclear fusion requires extremely high temperatures and pressures to overcome the repulsive forces between atomic nuclei and allow them to fuse together. This is achieved by using powerful magnets to confine and heat a plasma of hydrogen isotopes, such as deuterium and tritium, to millions of degrees Celsius.

4. What are the potential challenges in achieving controlled nuclear fusion?

One of the main challenges in achieving controlled nuclear fusion is the need for extreme temperatures and pressures, which require advanced technology and materials that can withstand these conditions. Another challenge is finding a way to effectively capture and convert the energy released from the fusion reaction into usable electricity.

5. What are some current research efforts in controlled nuclear fusion?

Scientists are currently pursuing different approaches to controlled nuclear fusion, such as magnetic confinement fusion, inertial confinement fusion, and alternative methods like laser, plasma, and fusion-fission hybrid reactors. Research efforts also focus on developing new materials and technologies to improve the efficiency and sustainability of controlled fusion reactions.