What does ln xs = -dHf/R(T0-T/TT0) calculate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Jasbraman
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Precisely what does the following equation, in which R is the gas constant, allow one to calculate?



ln xs = -dHf/R(T0-T/TT0)



I have no idea what this could be. I know what each part of the equation is (gas constant, change in enthalpy of formation, Freezing point depression etc.) I just don't know what it allows me to calculate...except that its the natural log of something. I think it has something to do with entropy, but I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notation is ambiguous. Did you mean

[tex] \ln x_s = \frac{-dH_f}{R}\left(\frac{T_0-T}{TT_0}\right)[/tex]

in which case [itex]x_s[/itex] is dimensionless?
 
That is exactly what I meant, yes. I did not know you could put in equations like that. Anyway, I have to find out precisely what it allows me to calculate, but I have no idea.
 
Jasbraman said:
That is exactly what I meant, yes. I did not know you could put in equations like that. Anyway, I have to find out precisely what it allows me to calculate, but I have no idea.

Try this:
1. the expression with T can be rewritten as two terms
2. exponentiate
 
Last edited:
That should give you something that looks a lot like something else you're familiar with :-/