Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does molarity mean in case of weak electrolytes??

Tags:
  1. May 23, 2015 #1
    I am really confused about it.Suppose we add 5 moles of acetic acid in 1 litre of water..The molarity of solution will be -(5 moles)/volume of solution?Or it will be -(the number of moles of acetic acid dissociated/dissolved)/volume of solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2
    I believe molarity is defined as the number of moles dissolved or otherwise well mixed into solution. Vinegar and water are quite miscible so far I know, so it would be 5 moles/ liter.

4. May 24, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Molarity of what?

Formal concentration (also called analytical concentration) of acetic acid - 5 M.

Equilibrium concentrations of HAcetate, Acetate-, H+ will be different, you can estimate them to be approximately 4.990 M, 9.34×10-3 M and 9.34×10-3 M respectively. One thing you can be sure about is that [HAcetate] + [Acetate-] = 5 M (this is mass balance of acetic acid).

5. May 25, 2015 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

No, molarity always is the quotient of moles per total volume, so 5 moles of acetic acid and one liter of water give a molarity less than 5 moles/l.

6. May 25, 2015 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Good point.

Assuming 1 L of water and 5 moles of acetic acid final solution would be 3.96 M.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook