What does Noether's theorem actually say?

In summary, her theorem tells us that if a system is symmetrical in certain transformations, then it will have a corresponding law of conservation, such as momentum is conserved in translation symmetry and angular momentum is conserved in rotational symmetry, and energy is conserved in time symmetry.
parshyaa
I don't know much about classical physics(such as lagrangian function), but as i was reading conservation of energy, i came to this theorem and it tells that if a system is symmetrical in certain transformations(such as translation, rotation etc) then it will have a corresponding law of conservation, such as momentum is conserved in translation symmetry and angular momentum is conserved in rotational symmetry, and energy is conserved in time symmetry
I didn't understood the symmetry part, how can we say that time is symmetric and how can we use this theorem to prove conservation of energy?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
In this context, time translation symmetry means that nothing fundamental changes when you change what time it is. In other words, the laws of physics are the same today as they were yesterday, and will be the same in a nanosecond, in another day, another month, another century... It means that as long as an equation doesn't care when you started your clock, energy is conserved. Mathematically you can always replace t with t'=t+T, where T is a constant. For example, ##F=ma=md^2x/dt^2##. ##dt'=dt##, so ##F=md^2x/dt'^2## is just the same. [1] And as long as that is true for all (relevant) equations, energy conservation follows.

All such symmetries lead to a conservation law. Spatial translation symmetry (the laws of physics are the same next door as they are here, or you can always replace x with ##x'=x+X##) leads to momentum conservation. Rotational symmetry leads to angular momentum conservation.

I gather that the fact that the universe is expanding - it's not the same today as it was yesterday - is the underlying reason why it's so hard to come up with a convincing "total energy of the universe" formula.

[1] You need to be a bit wary - sometimes we use t where we should really use ##\Delta t## - for example ##s=ut+
at^2/2##.

Last edited:
Likes ajeet mishra, DrClaude, parshyaa and 3 others
Ibix said:
[1] You need to be a bit wary - sometimes we use t where we should really use ##\Delta t## - for example ##s=ut+
at^2/2##.
To follow up, time translation symmetry is exactly the reason why we can substitute ##t## for ##\Delta t##, since it is equivalent to saying that ##t_0## is arbitrary, and we can choose ##t_0 = 0##.

Likes Ibix
parshyaa said:
I didn't understood the symmetry part, how can we say that time is symmetric and how can we use this theorem to prove conservation of energy?

The exact mathematical definition of symmetry that noether's theorem uses is quite complex, but it essentially means that the action integral(the integral of the lagrangian) is invariant (does not change) when the variables that appear in the integral undergo some specific transforms.

How do we know that such a such type of symmetry will give you such a such type of conservation law
Can we simillarly prove that if there is translation symmetry then momentum is conserved and if there is rotational symmetry then angular momentum is conserved.

Last edited:
parshyaa said:
How do we know that such a such type of symmetry will give you such a such type of conservation law
Can we simillarly prove that if there is translation symmetry then momentum is conserved and if there is rotational symmetry then angular momentum is conserved.
http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath564/kmath564.htm

Likes Ibix, fresh_42 and parshyaa
DrClaude said:
So what i undrstood is that yes her theorem can prove if there is a symmetry of such kind then there will be a conservation of particular kind, since maths is so complex i could understand this much only.

Likes Delta2
Thank you everyone, her theorem really inspired me, really remarkable, i am a big fan of feynman and from now emmy noether is one of a kind, i think i have to make "list of favourites".:smile:

1. What is Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that connects symmetries in a system to conservation laws. It was developed by German mathematician Emmy Noether in the early 20th century.

2. What does Noether's theorem state?

Noether's theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity (such as energy, momentum, or angular momentum).

3. Can you provide an example of Noether's theorem in action?

One example of Noether's theorem in action is the conservation of energy in a system with time-invariant laws of motion. This is because the symmetry of time translation leads to the conservation of energy.

4. What is the importance of Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem is important because it provides a deep understanding of the underlying symmetries in physical systems and their connection to conservation laws. It has also been used to formulate many important theories in physics, such as the theory of relativity and quantum field theory.

5. Are there any limitations to Noether's theorem?

While Noether's theorem is a powerful tool in physics, it does have its limitations. It only applies to systems with continuous symmetries, and it does not account for systems with discrete symmetries. Additionally, it does not apply to systems that violate the laws of classical mechanics.