What does the area under a Distance vs Time graph indicate

In summary: PIn summary, the area under a graph with distance on the y-axis and time on the x-axis represents the displacement of an object. For a graph with a constant velocity, the area can be calculated using the formula for a right angled triangle. This quantity is known as absement, which does not have any special physical significance but can be useful in theoretical systems/problems. The absement can also be used to find the units of the area, as shown by the equation used in the conversation. The next question may be to find the area under the absement-time graph, which would require finding the time-integral of the absement.
urbano

Homework Statement

Given a graph with distance (in meters) on the y-axis and time (in seconds) on the x-axis what does the area under this graph illustrate ?

The object has a velocity of 1m/s so after 5 s it has traveled 5m.

Homework Equations

This is a linear line (i.e y=x) so the area can be calculated based on that of a right angled triangle ( 1/2 base x height)

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the time of 5 seconds, we have a triangle area of 1/2(5s)* 5m = 12.5

I'm unsure what these units would be ?? m/s ?? I didn't think it would be m/s as this is velocity and the velocity of the object is 1m/s.

The area under graph , I don't believe to be acceleration, as to get acceleration from the area under a graph I'd need to have velocity on the y-axis and time on the x axis...or wait would velocity on the y and time on the x give me displacement ?

I have distance in m on the y-axis and time in s on the x axis.

I know I can calculate velocity at specific points on the graph but don't understand what the area under a distance vs time graph would show.

Physics news on Phys.org
You already figured out the units in your question.

1/2(5s)*5m = 12.5 ms

Apparently this is called absement. In ordinary kinematics I don't believe it has any physical or useful meaning. However there may be some theoretical use to the quantity in more advanced systems/problems.

The graph is usually displacement-time rater than distance-time.

The object starts with a displacement of zero and finishes with a displacement of 5m after 1s - is this correct?

To find the units, use the same equation for the units that you used to get the number, but leave out all the bits that don't have units. In your case 12.5 m.s (since "ms"="milliseconds")

The area under the displacement-time graph is the "absement" and does not have any special physical significance.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=185121

Are you sure it's displacement - time graph or velocity - time graph, because the equation given 1/2bh is to get displacement under a velocity - time graph because area = displacement under the graph, and under a displacement - time graph really has no significance as mentioned by Simon.

@oldspice: the problem statement describes an object moving at constant velocity ... wouldn't the (general geometric formula for the) area under the v-t graph for that be ##\small bh## rather than ##\small bh/2##?

Note: having no special physical significance is not the same as having no significance. See examples:
http://wearcam.org/absement/examples.htm

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
@oldspice: the problem statement describes an object moving at constant velocity ... wouldn't the (general geometric formula for the) area under the v-t graph for that be ##\small bh## rather than ##\small bh/2##?

Note: having no special physical significance is not the same as having no significance. See examples:
http://wearcam.org/absement/examples.htm

Well we don't really have the photo but for what we are given from op since its linear and a triangle geometrically we can only assume its 1/2bh otherwise I'd think he would have a trapezoid where it would then be 1/2b(h1+h2).

Last edited:
oldspice1212 said:
Well we don't really have the photo but for what we are given from op since its linear and a triangle geometrically we can only assume its 1/2bh otherwise I'd think he would have a trapezoid where it would then be 1/2b(h1+h2).
That's right ... hence: considering it is a triangle and a constant velocity is involved ... then wouldn't that make it a d-t graph rather than a v-t graph? (Since a v-t graph for constant velocity would be a rectangle? re. post #4)

Simon Bridge said:
That's right ... hence: considering it is a triangle and a constant velocity is involved ... then wouldn't that make it a d-t graph rather than a v-t graph? (Since a v-t graph for constant velocity would be a rectangle? re. post #4)

Yes, a constant velocity - time graph will be a rectangle giving you displacement for the area. In his case we are dealing with a position - time graph, where there is absement as you mentioned earlier. If he wants velocity, he can just use the slope formula rise/ run. Another thing, an instantaneous velocity - time graph will have a triangle shape area that's where you would have to use 1/2bh to figure out the displacement.

http://wearcam.org/absement/examples.htm for absement. (Simon mentioned this website as well)

I'll say this is the first time I've seen a question like this though, odd.

Last edited:
I don't normally see it in an assignment. The next question will be "what is the area under the absement-time graph?"

I normally see this sort of extrapolation the other way: the slope of the v-t graph is the acceleration ... the slope of the a-t graph is the ... jerk ... the slope of the j-t graph would be the... what... putz? heel? prat? [*]

But I suppose it makes sense ... in kinematics, the time derivative of the jerk is zero most everywhere terminating the series, but you can always integrate. For a constant acceleration, the d-t graph is quadratic, so the absement-t graph will be cubic etc. Perhaps the time-integral of the absement is a presement (since an absence of an absence is a presence?)

---------------------------

[*] jounce :)

Simon Bridge said:
I don't normally see it in an assignment. The next question will be "what is the area under the absement-time graph?"

I normally see this sort of extrapolation the other way: the slope of the v-t graph is the acceleration ... the slope of the a-t graph is the ... jerk ... the slope of the j-t graph would be the... what... putz? heel? prat? [*]

But I suppose it makes sense ... in kinematics, the time derivative of the jerk is zero most everywhere terminating the series, but you can always integrate. For a constant acceleration, the d-t graph is quadratic, so the absement-t graph will be cubic etc. Perhaps the time-integral of the absement is a presement (since an absence of an absence is a presence?)

---------------------------

[*] jounce :)

Are you suggesting that 'putz', 'heel', and 'prat' are suitable alternatives for the gradient of the acc against time graph?
Are you fully aware of the meaning of some of these words in some parts of the world?

technician said:
Are you suggesting that 'putz', 'heel', and 'prat' are suitable alternatives for the gradient of the acc against time graph?
Are you fully aware of the meaning of some of these words in some parts of the world?
LOL - of course not :D
Take another look
... the time-derivative of velocity is acceleration
... the time derivative of acceleration is jerk
... are you aware of the meaning of this last word in some parts of the World?

... continuing in this way, it seems logical that the time derivative of a jerk would be a heel and the time derivative of a heel would be a putz and so on. I met the "putz" version in a lecture on classical mechanics given by an American prof.

It's a pune, or play on words.

In tune with the multinational nature of the forums - "heel" would be mildly derogatory to Americans in general (possibly puzzling to others), "putz" would be similar with people familiar with Yiddish, and "prat" for UK/Commonwealth folk. All pretty mild.

Of course, the time derivative of acceleration is actually called "jounce" ;)
Mind you, if someone is seriously offended by any of this, just say the word and I'll happily report myself for moderation.

1. What is the area under a Distance vs Time graph?

The area under a Distance vs Time graph represents the displacement of an object over a given time interval. It can also be interpreted as the total distance traveled by the object during that time interval.

2. How is the area under a Distance vs Time graph calculated?

The area under a Distance vs Time graph can be calculated by dividing the graph into smaller rectangles, calculating the area of each rectangle, and then summing up all the individual areas. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using integration, which is a mathematical technique for finding the area under a curve.

3. What does a positive area under a Distance vs Time graph indicate?

A positive area under a Distance vs Time graph indicates that the object is moving in the positive direction (i.e. forward) and covering a positive distance. It can also indicate that the object is accelerating if the graph is curved.

4. What does a negative area under a Distance vs Time graph indicate?

A negative area under a Distance vs Time graph indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction (i.e. backward) and covering a negative distance. It can also indicate that the object is decelerating if the graph is curved.

5. Can the area under a Distance vs Time graph be zero?

Yes, the area under a Distance vs Time graph can be zero if the object is not moving or if it moves in such a way that its displacement over a given time interval is zero. This can happen when the object moves in a straight line and returns to its original position at the end of the time interval.