What does the central thm of calculus of variation says?

In summary, the statement "if action is extremized, THEN L satisfies E-L" is correct, but the definition of "criticalize" is not trivial.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Based on the proof given in the action article of wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(physics)#Euler-Lagrange_equations_for_the_action_integral), it would seems that the statement of the "central thm of calculus of variation"(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler-Lagrange_equations#Statement) is in fact an [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] one. I.e. not just "IF action is extremized, THEN L satisfies E-L", but rather "Action is extremized, iff L satisfies E-L"

someone can confirm?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither of those statements have anything to do with calculus of variations because "action" is a physics term, not a mathematics term! Please learn the difference between the two.

In any case iff is not correct. It is quite possible that E-L is satisfied while the integral does not have an extremum, in exactly the same way that a function of a single variable may have derivative 0 where it does not have an extremum (f(x)= x3 for example).

sorry, replace the word "extremize" by "criticalize" (i.e. is a critical point)

Aaah, I understand everything! A correct statement would be

Given a functional L(f(x),f'(x),x) with continuous first partial derivatives, a function f "criticalizes" the cost functional (i.e. [itex]\delta J/\delta f(x)=0[/itex]) iff it satisfies the E-L equations.

What is the definition of "criticalize"? The definition of "critical point" in calculus is "the derivative either is 0 or does not exist at that point". If you are using an equivalent definition for functionals, then what you are saying is trivial.

See post #4. By criticalize, I mean [itex]\delta J/\delta f(x)=0[/itex].

How trivial is it? Do you mean it in a "Of course it's true, stop wasting my time" way, or in a "Well it's almost the definition" way?

Okay, I'll concede. I was afraid you were using something like "the E-L equations" are true (the direct analog of "df/dx= 0 or does not exist" as a definition of critical point) which I am sure you would agree would make the statement trivial. If you are using [itex]\delta J/\delta f(x)[/itex]= 0 then it is not trivial. It does, of course, follow from the derivation of the E-L equation, which is far from trivial!

1. What is the central theorem of calculus of variations?

The central theorem of calculus of variations states that if a function has a stationary value at a certain point, then the variation of the function at that point must be equal to zero.

2. How is the central theorem of calculus of variations used in physics?

In physics, the central theorem of calculus of variations is used to find the path of least action or the path that a system will take to reach equilibrium. This is important in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

3. What is the difference between calculus of variations and traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, while calculus of variations deals with finding the function itself that will result in a stationary value.

4. Can the central theorem of calculus of variations be applied to real-life problems?

Yes, the central theorem of calculus of variations has many real-life applications, such as finding the shortest distance between two points, the optimal shape for a bridge, or the most efficient route for a plane to take.

5. Are there any practical limitations to using calculus of variations?

One limitation of calculus of variations is that it can only be used for continuous functions. Additionally, some problems may have multiple solutions, making it difficult to determine which one is the optimal solution.