1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundemental lemma of the calculus of variations

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I've been revising the calculus of variations and using the wiki entry on the euler lagrange equation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler-Lagrange_equation) as a reference. Scroll down and you'll see: Derivation of one-dimensional Euler–Lagrange equation. Expand this. In it you'll see the statement: "It follows from the total derivative that" and:

dF/dε= dx/dε*∂F/∂x + dgε/dε*∂F/∂gε + dg'ε/dε*∂Fε/∂g'ε

2. Relevant equations

What happened to the first term (dx/dε*∂F/∂x)?

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that the first term has gone to zero. But how? If π(a) and π(b) both = 0 surely f(x) is a line with f(x) = 0? In which case it is clear that that term will go to zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Isn't ##dx/d\varepsilon =0##?

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3
    I think I have it. The description in wiki is a little limited (alternatively my imagination is limited :smile:) so by a little mixing and matching of proofs I think I have found it.

Thanks anyway.

5. Aug 29, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't see any obvious problem with the derivation on Wikipedia other than it throws in the unnecessary term that seems to have confused you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook