What does the Comp function mean?

It's just a way of representing the general form of any primitive recursive function.In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof of Ackermann's function not being a primitive recursive function. The image provided shows a composite function with parameters that represent the general form of a primitive recursive function. The participants are unsure about the meaning of the p11 parameter, but agree that it represents the general form of any primitive recursive function.
japplepie
I've been looking at this proof -> http://basics.sjtu.edu.cn/~liguoqiang/teaching/comp14/materials/Ackermann.pdf
At the bottom of the second page, there is this thing which looks like this:
http://s24.postimg.org/sxtz7pef9/what.png

Could someone please explain what that function with those weird parameters mean please, thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
My guess is it means composite. The proof is trying to demonstrate the Ackermann's function is not a primitive recursive function (Pr) so that means it must be a composite function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primitive_recursive_function
I see, but what is the p11 in the parameter?

jedishrfu said:
Could that be one of the primitive recursive functions?
I think what it means is the general form of the any kind of primitive recursive function, but I'm not sure.. What do you think?

Yes, I think you're right.

What is the Comp function?

The Comp function is a mathematical function used to compare two values and return a Boolean value of true or false based on the comparison. It is commonly used in programming languages to perform tasks such as sorting, filtering, and searching.

How does the Comp function work?

The Comp function works by taking in two values as parameters and comparing them using a set of rules or algorithms. The result of the comparison is then returned as a Boolean value, with true indicating that the two values are equal and false indicating that they are not equal.

What are the benefits of using the Comp function?

The Comp function allows for efficient and accurate comparison of values, making it a useful tool in tasks such as data analysis and sorting. It also helps to reduce the amount of code needed to perform these tasks, making programs more concise and easier to maintain.

What are some common use cases for the Comp function?

The Comp function is commonly used in tasks that require comparison of values, such as sorting data, filtering data, and searching for specific values. It can also be used in conditional statements to make decisions based on the results of the comparison.

Are there any limitations to the Comp function?

One limitation of the Comp function is that it can only compare two values at a time. This means that it cannot be used to compare multiple values simultaneously. Additionally, the Comp function may not work properly if the values being compared are of different data types.