Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What does this Change in Representing a Function mean?

Tags:
  1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    I have encountered this form of a function: ##f \left(x, y\right)##. Later throughout the discussion, the function was represented as ##f \left(y \right)##. Does this change in representation imply anything? I have been looking through the discussion if ##x## was considered constant, but it doesn't say anything.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What about the derivation that follows? Is the ##x## still omitted? Otherwise, I can't say too much without knowing the major part of the derivation.

4. Apr 7, 2016 #3
    There was no derivation. The function ##f\left(y \right)## simply appeared as a term on an equation after it was defined as ##f \left(x, y\right)##.

5. Apr 7, 2016 #4

Ssnow

Gold Member

It is possible that the dependence of ##f## by ##x## was omitted because

1)is fixed before ...
    2)doesn't appear in the equation as variable ...
    3) there is an implicit dependence ##f(y(x))## so ##f## is a functional ...

6. Apr 7, 2016 #5
    It was defined as this:

##f \left(x, y\right) = A \left(\frac{x}{x_0}\right) \left(\frac{y_0}{y}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}##

So, it appears as a variable in the equation, and it doesn't seem to be a functional. The variables ##A##, ##x_0## and ##y_0## are constants.

7. Apr 7, 2016 #6

Ssnow

Gold Member

Ok, it is a function in two variables ##x,y##. In this case I think ##x## is fixed or not considered as variable if they write ##f(y)## ...

8. Apr 7, 2016 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This seems to me like the writer was being sloppy. The notation f(x, y) indicates a function of two variables. If x is held fixed at ##x_0##, then you have ##f(x_0, y)##, which is effectively a function of y alone. Clearer would be to say that ##f(x_0, y) = g(y)##, so as to not reuse f now appearing as a function of a single variable.

9. Apr 8, 2016 #8
    I think so too... Anyway, does everyone agree that the function ##f\left( y\right)## is a function with ##x = x_0##?

10. Apr 8, 2016 #9

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's impossible to be sure without knowing the full context.
    It is a reasonable hypothesis, but x could also be some other fixed number in the calculation where the author uses f(y) instead of f(x,y).

11. Apr 8, 2016 #10
    Sorry, let me re-phrase:

Is the function ##f\left( y\right)## has its ##x## value fixed?

12. Apr 8, 2016 #11

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##f(y)## has no dependence on ##x##, so if this ##f## refers to the same ##f## used in the definition of ##f(x,y)##, then yes, it most probably means that ##x## is considered fixed in the calculation. If not, it is very sloppy indeed.

13. Apr 8, 2016 #12
    Thank you very much! Your help is highly appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted