What does this Change in Representing a Function mean?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the function f(x,y) being represented as f(y) later in the discussion. It is unclear if this change in representation implies anything, but the writer may have been being sloppy. It is possible that the function f(y) has its x value fixed, but it's impossible to be sure without knowing the full context.
ecastro
I have encountered this form of a function: ##f \left(x, y\right)##. Later throughout the discussion, the function was represented as ##f \left(y \right)##. Does this change in representation imply anything? I have been looking through the discussion if ##x## was considered constant, but it doesn't say anything.

Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What about the derivation that follows? Is the ##x## still omitted? Otherwise, I can't say too much without knowing the major part of the derivation.

There was no derivation. The function ##f\left(y \right)## simply appeared as a term on an equation after it was defined as ##f \left(x, y\right)##.

It is possible that the dependence of ##f## by ##x## was omitted because

1)is fixed before ...
2)doesn't appear in the equation as variable ...
3) there is an implicit dependence ##f(y(x))## so ##f## is a functional ...

It was defined as this:

##f \left(x, y\right) = A \left(\frac{x}{x_0}\right) \left(\frac{y_0}{y}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}##

So, it appears as a variable in the equation, and it doesn't seem to be a functional. The variables ##A##, ##x_0## and ##y_0## are constants.

Ok, it is a function in two variables ##x,y##. In this case I think ##x## is fixed or not considered as variable if they write ##f(y)## ...

ecastro said:
I have encountered this form of a function: ##f \left(x, y\right)##. Later throughout the discussion, the function was represented as ##f \left(y \right)##. Does this change in representation imply anything? I have been looking through the discussion if ##x## was considered constant, but it doesn't say anything.

Thank you in advance.

ecastro said:
There was no derivation. The function ##f\left(y \right)## simply appeared as a term on an equation after it was defined as ##f \left(x, y\right)##.
This seems to me like the writer was being sloppy. The notation f(x, y) indicates a function of two variables. If x is held fixed at ##x_0##, then you have ##f(x_0, y)##, which is effectively a function of y alone. Clearer would be to say that ##f(x_0, y) = g(y)##, so as to not reuse f now appearing as a function of a single variable.

Mark44 said:
This seems to me like the writer was being sloppy.

I think so too... Anyway, does everyone agree that the function ##f\left( y\right)## is a function with ##x = x_0##?

ecastro said:
I think so too... Anyway, does everyone agree that the function ##f\left( y\right)## is a function with ##x = x_0##?
It's impossible to be sure without knowing the full context.
It is a reasonable hypothesis, but x could also be some other fixed number in the calculation where the author uses f(y) instead of f(x,y).

Sorry, let me re-phrase:

Is the function ##f\left( y\right)## has its ##x## value fixed?

ecastro said:
Sorry, let me re-phrase:

Is the function ##f\left( y\right)## has its ##x## value fixed?
##f(y)## has no dependence on ##x##, so if this ##f## refers to the same ##f## used in the definition of ##f(x,y)##, then yes, it most probably means that ##x## is considered fixed in the calculation. If not, it is very sloppy indeed.

Thank you very much! Your help is highly appreciated.

FAQ: What does this Change in Representing a Function mean?

1. What is a function in mathematics?

A function is a mathematical concept that relates an input value to an output value. It is often represented as f(x) and can be thought of as a machine that takes an input and produces an output.

2. What does it mean to represent a function?

To represent a function means to express it in a specific form or format that shows the relationship between the input and output values. This can be done through mathematical equations, graphs, tables, or other visual representations.

3. How does a change in representing a function affect its meaning?

A change in representing a function can alter its meaning by changing the way the input and output values are related. For example, converting a function from an equation to a graph may make it easier to visualize and understand, but the underlying mathematical relationship remains the same.

4. Can a function have multiple representations?

Yes, a function can have multiple representations. As long as the underlying mathematical relationship between the input and output values remains the same, it can be represented in different ways. Different representations may be useful for different purposes or to better understand the function.

5. What are some common ways to represent a function?

Some common ways to represent a function include using mathematical equations, graphs, tables, and verbal descriptions. Other methods may include using computer programs, diagrams, or real-world examples to represent the function.