What does the equation represent?

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
In summary, the equation ax2 + by2 = 0 represents a degenerate conic section, either a circle or an ellipse with radius 0 or a pair of intersecting straight lines at the origin, depending on the signs of a and b.
zorro

Homework Statement

What does ax2 + by2 = 0 represent if
1)a and b are of same sign
2)a and b are of opposite sign.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I think it represents a point as radius of circle is 0.
2) No idea

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing down the equations and putting them in the form y=f(x) taking a and b as 1 for simplicity.

1) You're right, it is a point in that it is a circle with radius 0. But it also has roots containing i so I'm not sure what to actually call it...

x2+y2=0
y2=0-x2
y=sqrt(-x2)
The square root of a negative number is imaginary
y=+ix

2) This one is actually easier when you think about it

x2-y2=0
y2=0+x2
y2=x2
y=+x

You should be able to recognize what that would look like in a graph.

The first one would represent the point x=y=0. The second one, a line with y-intercept =0.

Another way to look at this is in terms of specific conic sections. If the equation were ax2 + by2 = 1, this would be:
a) a circle if a > 0, b > 0 and a = b.
b) an ellipse if a > 0, b > 0 and a != b
c) a hyperbola if a and b are opposite in sign

For the equation ax2 + by2 = 0, you can think of this as
a) a degenerate circle if a > 0, b > 0 and a = b. I.e., a circle of radius zero, centered at the origin. In other words, a single point.
b) a degenerate ellipse if a > 0, b > 0 and a != b. Also a single point.
c) a degenerate hyperbola if a and b are opposite in sign. I.e., a pair of straight lines that intersect at the origin.

Thanks everone!

1. What is the purpose of an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more variables. It is used to solve problems, make predictions, and understand the behavior of a system.

2. How do you read an equation?

An equation is read from left to right, with the equal sign separating the two sides. The variables and mathematical symbols in an equation have specific meanings and must be interpreted correctly in order to understand its representation.

3. What does the left side of an equation represent?

The left side of an equation typically represents the dependent variable, which is the quantity that is being solved for or affected by the other variables in the equation.

4. What does the right side of an equation represent?

The right side of an equation typically represents the independent variables, which are the quantities that are being manipulated or have an effect on the dependent variable.

5. How do you determine the solution to an equation?

The solution to an equation is determined by finding the value(s) for the variable(s) that make both sides of the equation equal. This can be done through various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.