How many solutions does the equation have?

• Thread starter terryds
  • Start date
In summary, there are 57 solutions for the equation x1 + x2 + x3 = 17, given the conditions 0 ≤ x1 < 6, x2 ≥ 0, and x3 > 5.
terryds

Homework Statement

If ## 0 \leq x_1 < 6, x_2 \geq 0, x_3 > 5##, how many solutions does ##x_1+x_2+x_3=17## have ?

A.46
B.57
C.68
D.79
E.89

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For x3, ## 17 - x_1 - x_2 > 5 ##
For x2, ## 17 - x_1-x_3 \geq 0 ##
For x1, ## 0 \leq 17 - x_2 - x_3 < 6 ##

Then, I don't know what to do next..
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the whole problem?

I would expect them to say that x1, x2 and x3 are integers.

What can you say about x1? What values can it take?

Similarly for the others.

Basically this is a counting problem, ie for each x1 value count the number of x2 and x3 values that make the x1+x2+x3=17 true.

jedishrfu said:
Is this the whole problem?

I would expect them to say that x1, x2 and x3 are integers.

What can you say about x1? What values can it take?

Similarly for the others.

Basically this is a counting problem, ie for each x1 value count the number of x2 and x3 values that make the x1+x2+x3=17 true.

So, there is no better way than trying each one ??
I think there's a better way since all of the options are a bit big numbers (46 is the smallest)

There probably is a better way but since you don't see it yet then why not try to count them.

Pick x2 and set it to 0 then how many choices are there for x1 and x3?

jedishrfu said:
There probably is a better way but since you don't see it yet then why not try to count them.

Pick x2 and set it to 0 then how many choices are there for x1 and x3?
There are seven choice..
(0,17),(1,16),...,(6,11)

Close but x1 =/= 6

now try x2=1 then x2=2 ...

If you can spot the pattern that's great but you might be able to eliminate some of the choices like say is 89 too high a count?

Likes terryds
So there is 6 solutions for x2 = 0
If x2 = 1, then there will be 6 solutions also
So, for x2 = 0 until x2 = 6, it will have 6 solutions.
But for x2=7, there are 5 solutions.
For x2 = 8, there are 4 solutions... and so on

So, by trying each integer for x2 value, there are 7*6+5+4+3+2+1 = 57 solutions.. Got it! Thankss

1. How do I determine the number of solutions for an equation?

To determine the number of solutions for an equation, you need to look at the degree of the equation. If it is a linear equation, it will have one solution. If it is a quadratic equation, it can have two solutions. Higher degree equations can have multiple solutions.

2. Can an equation have no solutions?

Yes, an equation can have no solutions. This happens when the equation is contradictory, meaning that there is no number that satisfies the equation.

3. How do I find the solutions for an equation?

The process of finding solutions for an equation is called solving the equation. This involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side until the variable is by itself. The value of the variable that satisfies the equation is the solution.

4. Can an equation have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, an equation can have an infinite number of solutions. This happens when the equation is an identity, meaning that all numbers satisfy the equation. For example, the equation x = x has an infinite number of solutions because any number substituted for x will make the statement true.

5. How do I know if an equation has a unique solution?

An equation will have a unique solution if it is a linear equation with one variable. This means that there is only one possible value for the variable that satisfies the equation. If the equation is not linear or has multiple variables, it may have multiple or no solutions.