What does the ff mean in the index?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index Mean
In summary, "ff" is commonly used in indexes to indicate "following" or "following page" and is a more efficient way to reference multiple pages. It is primarily used in printed indexes, but may also stand for "following figure" or "following footnote" depending on the style guide. To use "ff" in an index, simply list it after the page number(s) being referenced.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What does the "ff" mean in the index?

I am browsing the index in Dummit & Foote and I notice that a lot of the page numbers have ff. after them. What does this mean?

For instance,

"Gaussian integers, 229ff., 271, 278, 289ff., 377"

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A reference such as 229ff. usually means: Page 229 and following pages. (The topic is mentioned over several pages, not just one.)

I seee !

1. What is the meaning of "ff" in the index?

"ff" typically stands for "following" or "following page" in an index. It is used to indicate that the information being referenced can be found on the next page.

2. Why is "ff" used instead of just listing the page number in the index?

Using "ff" allows for more efficient use of space in an index, especially when referencing multiple pages. It also helps to avoid confusion if there are multiple page numbers listed for one entry.

3. Is "ff" used in all types of indexes?

No, "ff" is primarily used in books and other documents with printed indexes. In digital indexes, page numbers are typically linked directly to the referenced information.

4. Can "ff" also stand for something else in an index?

Yes, in some cases "ff" may stand for "following figure" or "following footnote" instead of "following page". This may vary depending on the specific style guide or publication.

5. How do I use "ff" in an index?

To use "ff" in an index, simply list it after the page number(s) being referenced. For example, "45ff" would indicate that the information can be found on pages 45 and the following page(s).