What Does the -1 Index Mean in the Abbreviation km h^-1?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Simonio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index
In summary: The pop-up window also shows you how the expression looks like when using different $\LaTeX$ packages, e.g., amsmath.I hope this helps.
Simonio
I'm looking at a question that refers to kilometres per hour and uses the abbreviation\(km h^-1\)

It looks like a -1 index -could someone [point out to me what this means (I'm only just starting to get back into maths!).

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are probably referring to:

$\text{kmh}^{-1}$

which means the same thing as km/h, that is to say: "kilometers per hour".

The superscript "${}^{-1}$" typically means "inverse", in this case "multiplicative inverse", or in more common language, "reciprocal", that is to say:

$h^{-1} \stackrel{\text{def}}{=} \dfrac{1}{h}$

Simonio said:
I'm looking at a question that refers to kilometres per hour and uses the abbreviation\(km h^-1\)

It looks like a -1 index -could someone [point out to me what this means (I'm only just starting to get back into maths!).

Thanks

Just a couple of $\LaTeX$ tips...

a) If you want to express units of measure, enclose them within the \text{} command so that they are not italicized like variables.

b) If an exponent has more than 1 character, enclose it within curly braces.

Thus, you could use the code:

\text{kmh}^{-1}

to get:

\(\displaystyle \text{kmh}^{-1}\)

Another tip: If you see a $\LaTeX$ expression and you would like to quickly see how it is done, this is, what code was used, right-click on the expression, and from the pop-up menu choose Show Math As ► TeX Commands, and a small pop-up window will contain the $\LaTeX$ code used to produce the result. You can then copy-paste the code and modify it for your own use in a post if you like.

Related to What Does the -1 Index Mean in the Abbreviation km h^-1?

What is an index?

An index is a list of items, typically organized in alphabetical or numerical order, that provides a way to locate specific information or data within a larger set of information.

How is an index helpful?

An index is helpful because it allows for quick and efficient searching and retrieval of information from a larger set. It can save time and effort by eliminating the need to search through the entire set of information.

What is the purpose of an index?

The purpose of an index is to provide an organized and systematic way to access and retrieve specific information within a larger set. It is commonly used in books, databases, and other sources of information.

What is the difference between a primary index and a secondary index?

A primary index is a list that is based on the primary key of a database table, whereas a secondary index is a list based on a non-primary key attribute. Primary indexes are used to uniquely identify rows in a table, while secondary indexes are used to improve query performance.

How is an index created?

An index can be created manually by a person or automatically by a computer program. It involves identifying the key elements or attributes that should be indexed and then organizing them in a systematic way to facilitate efficient searching and retrieval.