What does the moment of inertia depend on?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 19K views
Meowzers
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
What does the moment of inertia depend on?

-Angular velocity
-Shape of the object
-Location of axis of rotation
-Mass

Well, I think the location of the axis of rotation matters because it sets a reference point. I'm not sure about the others. Doesn't it also depend on how the mass of the object is distributed? So would that be the mass or shape of the object, or both? Also, moment of inertia was defined to be the resistance to the change of angular acceleration. But does that mean that it's dependent on the angular velocity?

Am I missing anything from above or incorrectly included any?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the definition of moment of inertia, it will provide you a direct answer instantly.
 
yes if i remember correctly they are all factors of the moment of inertia except for the angular velocity which is a variable