Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does the phrase Superlinear refer to?

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    What does the phrase "Superlinear" refer to?

I've been reading a lot of physics journals lately in relation to a presentation I am to prepare, and I've come across the term "superlinear" a few times, but never an explanation of what it means, and a search of the forums here yielded a similar experience, where someone would just throw the term out as though everyone would know what it meant.
    I've searched and come up with a few different results for the term, a couple being purely mathematical (e.g. a function f is sublinear if f(x + y) <= f(x) + f(y) for all x, y. Superlinear therefore means f(x + y) >= f(x) + f(y).), and been told that it merely means a slope > 1.

How does one go about figuring out such a mysterious term? I would provide the precise articles but they are APL papers, and I don't know if I'm allowed to reproduce their material.

In specific I am reading a paper on the "superlinearity" of the relationship between incident power and short circuit current in a Si nanocrystal photovoltaic cell created by a research team.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Re: What does the phrase "Superlinear" refer to?

Super-linear, f(x + y) >= f(x) + f(y), simply means that the curve departs from linear in a "concave upward" maner. Say for example like the curve y=x^2 for positive x.

Sub-linear, f(x + y) <= f(x) + f(y), means it departs from linear in a "concave downwards" manner. Say for example like the curve y=sqrt(x) for positive x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook