What does the picture on an AP Physics t-shirt mean?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Hunter Hammonds said:
I found this picture on an AP Physics t-shirt years ago and always wanted to know what it meant. Thanks.

Erg, I can't get the picture to load but the shirt is a picture of three otters in a cardboard box and on the outside of the box it says "Yo?" Like Y sub o? Any help is appreciated.
 
I think I can make a little sense of it. "Yo" is Spanish for "I" (me). In math and physics, "Y" sub "o" means "Y" subscript "o" (## Y_o ##). (Physics and math use a lot of subscripts, e.g. ## r_o ##, ## g_o ## , and these would be called "r" sub "o" and "g" sub "o", etc.). "Yo" can also be an exclamation, so the "Yo" has multiple meanings. The 3rd meaning, the mathematical one, is "Y" sub "o".
 
Last edited:
The link gives me an error, but, yeah Charles' deduction makes sense...aw, I want to see the shirt now.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
ProfuselyQuarky said:
The link gives me an error, but, yeah Charles deduction makes sense...aw, I want to see the shirt now.
I got a similar error. This has my curiosity=yes, I would also enjoy seeing the shirt.
 
Charles Link said:
I got a similar error. This has my curiosity=yes, I would also enjoy seeing the shirt.
Yo quiero ver la camiseta !

(sorry I couldn't help myself)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link
let's see if this helps any.
 
Attachments
  • IMG_6089.JPG
    IMG_6089.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 641
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and Charles Link
three otters in a cardboard box and on the outside of the box it says "Yo?" Like Y sub o? Any help is appreciated.

I am suspecting they are not otters but rather moles or as a play on words mols, in chemistry
I'm no a chemist so cannot put the rest of it together

with that info, some one else may do so
Dave
 
Perhaps it's to be read, "Why not?" In some drawls this sounds like Y nought? (Y zero)
 
As NascentOxygen points out in English Y0 would typically be pronounced "why not".

I suspect someone was trying to draw skinks not otters. A skink is a type of lizard.

So the picture would have a meaning along the lines of "Why not skink (think) outside the box?"
 
Otters mistaken for skinks? That's quite a stretch! :smile:

Looking
otter = outa
the box
---Why not?


Or perhaps otter = oughta (ought to)
Oughta look outside the box. Why not?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and davenn
NascentOxygen said:
Otters mistaken for skinks? That's quite a stretch? :smile:

uh huh ... more likely otters or moles never seen a lizard looking like that

NascentOxygen said:
why not?
look
otter = outa
the box
worthy translation :smile:
D
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
Why not Gopher it?



Or, how about, "Why not un-SEAL the box?"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky