What does the trace of the stress-energy tensor represent?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jfy4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sem Tensor Trace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jfy4
Messages
645
Reaction score
3
Hi,

Let [itex]T_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] be the stress-energy momentum tensor. What does [itex]g_{\alpha\beta}T^{\alpha\beta}[/itex] mean? I have always thought of the Ricci tensor and the SEM as the same thing essentially, but the Ricci scalar essentially assigns a number to the curvature of the manifold, what does [itex]T[/itex] say?

Thanks,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know in GR, but Nordstrom's scalar gravitation, the first consistent relativistic theory of gravity, can be reformulated using the Ricci Scalar and the trace SEM. It doesn't match observation, but it's historically interesting.

See Eq 16 of http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0405030
 
Another random fact is that CFTs and Maxwell's equations have traceless SEMs.
 
Thanks atyy for those references and tit-bits. I'm going to bump to see if I can get anything else.