What does this description mean? (two bodies orbiting each other)

In summary, the textbook "Introduction to Rocket Science and Engineering" discusses the concept of orbits and the effect of gravitational potential energy between a rocket and Earth as the distance between them increases. It also introduces the idea of a "sphere of influence," which is the distance at which other forces, such as the gravitational pull of the Moon or the Sun, become more significant than Earth's gravitational potential well. The formula for calculating the sphere of influence is rSOI = αp(msmallerbody/Mlargerbody)2/5, where M is the mass of the body in question, m is the mass of a smaller body orbiting the larger body, and ap is the semimajor axis of m's orbit about M. This
n3pix
Hello, I'm reading a textbook named "Introduction to Rocket Science and Engineering" by Travis S. Taylor.

I'm now in a general cosepts about orbits. I have a question, what the book says in here?

From Equation 2.24, it is clear that as the distance, r, between the rocket and Earth gets larger and larger, the potential energy between them decreases. At a certain distance, the effect of the gravitational potential well of the Earth becomes neglible compared to other forces acting on it (such as gravitational pull of the Moon or the Sun) and the rocket is said to be out of the Earth's "sphere of influence". The term is only applicable for three or more body systems and can be dscribed as,

rSOI = αp(msmallerbody/Mlargerbody)2/5

Here, αp is the length of the semimajor axis of the smaller body's orbit relative to the larger body.

I can't understand the bold formatted sentence. What the author try to mean? If you can, can you describe this sentence by using images, datas or diagrams, please?

Thanks to everybody, have a good day!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is my interpretation...
M is the mass of the body whose sphere of influence we are determining.
m is the mass of a smaller body orbiting the larger body, and which may serve to limit the larger's sphere of influence. I.e., when a third body is sufficiently far from M (>rSOI) its orbit may be significantly affected by m.
ap is the semimajor axis of m's orbit about M.

Likes n3pix
I see it differently. Since the sphere of influence decreases as the mass of the larger body increases I am lead to believe that it refers to the distance from the smaller mass. Thus the larger the big mass gets the closer you have to get to the smaller mass for it to have a larger affect than the big mass.

Likes haruspex and n3pix
haruspex said:
This is my interpretation...
M is the mass of the body whose sphere of influence we are determining.
m is the mass of a smaller body orbiting the larger body, and which may serve to limit the larger's sphere of influence. I.e., when a third body is sufficiently far from M (>rSOI) its orbit may be significantly affected by m.
ap is the semimajor axis of m's orbit about M.
Well this description is good but, I can't image what is going on, sadly. Can you describe this with some paper & pen drawings or an paint image, please? My English and Google Translator's Turkish is not enough to describe three things' relations :P

gleem said:
I see it differently. Since the sphere of influence decreases as the mass of the larger body increases I am lead to believe that it refers to the distance from the smaller mass. Thus the larger the big mass gets the closer you have to get to the smaller mass for it to have a larger affect than the big mass.

Thanks for your reply, I got what you tried to mean, thanks!

gleem said:
It specifically mentions the sphere of influence of the Earth being constrained by the sun and the moon, but you are right that the form of equation only makes sense if the sphere of influence in question is that of the smaller body.
Thanks for the correction.

Likes n3pix

1. What is meant by "two bodies orbiting each other"?

When two objects are in orbit around each other, it means that they are both moving around a common center of mass due to the force of gravity. This is known as a binary system and is commonly seen in celestial bodies such as planets and moons.

2. How do two bodies orbiting each other affect each other?

The two bodies in orbit around each other exert a gravitational force on each other, causing them to constantly pull towards each other. This force keeps them in orbit and determines the shape and speed of their orbits.

3. Can two bodies orbiting each other eventually collide?

Yes, it is possible for two bodies in orbit around each other to eventually collide. This can happen if their orbits change due to external forces or if one of the bodies loses enough energy to fall into the gravitational pull of the other.

4. What are some examples of two bodies orbiting each other?

Some examples of two bodies orbiting each other include the Earth and the Moon, the Sun and the Earth, and the Pluto-Charon system. Binary star systems, where two stars orbit each other, are also common examples.

5. What is the significance of studying two bodies orbiting each other?

Studying two bodies orbiting each other can provide valuable insights into the laws of gravity and the formation of celestial bodies. It can also help us understand the dynamics of our own solar system and the potential for other planets to sustain life.