Motion of Two Bodies Orbiting the Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of numerical methods to solve for the equations of motion of the Earth and moon orbiting the sun. The conversation also addresses finding the tangential velocity of the moon with respect to the sun using the formula v_{ms} = v_{es} + v_{me}, and the potential use of the chain rule to compute \frac{d \theta_{MS}}{dt}. The conversation also involves a debate on the correctness of a calculation for the tangential velocity of the moon relative to the sun, and the use of astronomical units in these calculations. Finally, the conversation delves into the interpretation of "solving for equations of motion" and the potential contradiction of circular orbits with this concept.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone. In my computational physics class, I am supposed to use numerical method to solve for equations of motion of the Earth and moon orbiting the sun, at which I place the origin of my coordinate system. However, I have a physics related question. Before I pose the query, allow me to define some notation and some conventions:

In this problem, we are assuming circular orbits. Let [itex]v_{es} = r_{es} \omega_{es}[/itex] be the tangential speed of the Earth relative to the sun, the distance between the sun and Earth (which would be 1, as we are working in astronomical units), and the rate at which the Earth rotates around the earth, respectively.

Let [itex]v_{me} = r_{me} \omega_{me}[/itex] be the tangential speed relative to the earth, the distance between Earth and moon, and the rate at which the moon rotates around the earth, respectively.

To find the tangential velocity of the moon with respect to the sun, would I simply compute the quantity [itex]v_{ms} = v_{es} + v_{me} \implies v_{ms} = r_{es} \omega_{es} + r_{me} \omega_{me} [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a good plan. Make a simple drawing and you will see why.

Well, I only need to use the formula to find the initial conditions, which is when all three planets are along the x-axis.

I drew a picture, but I am not quite sure I follow. I would like to understand what is wrong with this method, however.

What if I somehow used the chain rule? I want [itex]v_{MS}[/itex], which can be obtained from the formula [itex]v_{MS} = r_{MS} \omega_{MS}[/itex]. Is it possible that I could could somehow compute [itex]\frac{d \theta_{MS}}{dt}[/itex] in terms of the other derivatives?

Wait! I think I might have figured it out. Just give me a few moments to type up my response.

Last edited:
To find the tangential velocity of the moon relative to the sun, at time t=0, which is when all of the planets lie along the x-axis, would I use the equation [itex]\mathbf{v}_{ms} = \mathbf{v}_{me}+ \mathbf{v}_{es}[/itex]? If so, I could take magnitude of this this, which would be the length of side
of the triangle [itex]v_{ms}[/itex]. The three vector form some triangle. Using the law of cosines, I can find [itex]v_{ms}[/itex]:

[itex]v_{ms} = \sqrt{v^2_{me} + v_{es}^2 - 2v_{me}v_{es} \cos \theta}[/itex] (I choose the positive root, as we are dealing with speeds). Since all of the planets lie along the x-axis at t=0, the time at which this calculation gives [itex]v_{ms}[/itex], then velocities of the moon and Earth must be directed in the y-direction; therefore, the angle between the two velocities is zero.

[itex]v_{ms} = \sqrt{(2 \pi)^2 + (6.499221914)^2 - 2(2 \pi)(6.499221914)}[/itex].

Does this appear correct?

Last edited:
Ah, new info: you want the magnitude of ##v_m## under conditions
  • S,e,m line up (in that order)
  • Se plane coincides with em plane.
In that case the vector addition becomes a simple magnitude addition.

So, would the first formula I proposed work?

[itex]v_{ms} = v_{es} + v_{me} \implies v_{ms} = r_{es} \omega_{es} + r_{me} \omega_{me} [/itex]
gives you a starting speed at your t=0, yes.

[itex]v_{ms} = \sqrt{(2 \pi)^2 + (6.499221914)^2 - 2(2 \pi)(6.499221914)}[/itex]
Seems very weird to me. Would vme be ##2\pi##? and ves be only a little more than that? And the minus sign is for ##\cos\pi##?

I remember a previous post on this subject that isn't quite comparable, but contains some equations that might come in handy...

Yes, the reason why I have speeds like 2pi is because I am using astronomical units, in which the gravitational cosntant G = 4 pi^2.

Not familiar with a.u., but it seems to me moon wrt Earth (1 km/s) is a lot slower than Earth wrt sun (30 km/s)...
Ah, I see: 1 au = r sun-earth. So you have 2 pi au /year for the sun. And here's me thinking 2 pi m/s ...:redface:

Still: moon in au/yr is 6.499221914 seems dead wrong in two respects: there's a 10% differnece between peri- and apogee, so 10 digits is nonsense. And the value is a factor 30 off... your turn for :redface: Unless you prove me wrong and then it's double - nothing :smile:

If your program does circular orbits only, isn't that somewhat contradictory with "solving the equations of motion" ?

I do not understand, how is having a circular orbit contradictory with solving the equation of motion? Isn't traveling on a circular orbit a type motion, and can't this particular type of motion be described with equations? If so, then we would have equations of motion.

Also, here is how I calculated the velocity of the moon relative to the sun:

Because the planets undergo circular motion, the rate at which they rotate through angles is constant, that is, the angular velocity is constant. \

Radius between Earth and sun: [itex]r_{es} = 1~AU[/itex]

Angular velocity of Earth about the sun: [itex]\omega_{es} = \frac{2 \pi ~rad}{1~yr}[/itex]

Radius between moon and earth: [itex]r_{me} = 2.57 \times 10^{-6} ~AU[/itex]\

Angular velocity of the moon about the earth: [itex]\omega_{me} = \frac{2 \pi~rad}{27 ~days} \times \frac{365 ~days}{1~yr} = 84.93935693 ~\frac{rad}{yr}[/itex].

Therefore,

[itex]v_{ms} = (1~AU)(\frac{2 \pi ~rad}{1~yr}) + (2.57 \times 10^{-6} ~AU)( 84.93935693 ~\frac{rad}{yr}) = 6.283403601[/itex]

I haven't understood the 6.499221914.

From radius Earth orbit 1.5e11 m and 365.25 days I get 29.78 km/s
From radius moon orbit 3.85e8 m and 27.32 days I get 1.025 km/s.

If the first in your au units is ##2\pi##, the second should be around 0.2 and the sum some 6.5

Where did you find [itex]r_{me} = 2.57 \times 10^{-6} ~AU[/itex] ?

Perhaps we differ in our interpretation of "to solve for equations of motion". To me it means solving ##\vec F=m\,\vec a## with a given ##\vec r## and ##\vec v## at t=0.

That the outcome is close to a circular orbit for Earth around sun, I can well believe. And -- when moving with the Earth -- the moon's orbit will be close to a circle as well. But that is the outcome, not the input.

1. What is the motion of two bodies orbiting the Sun?

The motion of two bodies orbiting the Sun is governed by the principles of gravity and centripetal force. The two bodies, such as a planet and its moon, are constantly attracted towards each other by the force of gravity, while also being pulled towards the Sun. This results in a curved path, or orbit, around the Sun.

2. How do the masses of the two bodies affect their orbit?

The masses of the two bodies play a crucial role in determining their orbit. The greater the mass of the two bodies, the stronger the force of gravity between them, and the more circular their orbit will be. If one body is significantly more massive than the other, it will have a more dominant effect on the orbit.

3. What factors determine the shape of the orbit?

The shape of the orbit is primarily determined by the initial velocity and distance of the two bodies from each other and the Sun. If the two bodies have a high velocity and are relatively close together, their orbit will be more elliptical. If their velocity is lower and they are further apart, their orbit will be more circular. The masses of the bodies also play a role in shaping the orbit.

4. How does the distance between the two bodies change over time?

The distance between the two bodies can change over time due to various factors, such as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies or the effects of tidal forces. In some cases, the distance may increase, causing the orbit to become more elliptical, while in others, it may decrease, leading to a more circular orbit.

5. Can the orbit of two bodies around the Sun change over time?

Yes, the orbit of two bodies around the Sun can change over time due to various factors. The gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, such as planets or moons, can cause the orbit to become more or less elliptical. Additionally, external forces such as solar winds or collisions with other objects can also affect the orbit. However, these changes typically occur over long periods of time and are not very significant in the short term.