1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this notation mean? Linear map A = [A^\mu \nu]_\mu \nu

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    It's used in a certain proof that I'm reading. A is a linear map from a vectorspace V onto itself.

They say they can rewrite the vector space as [itex]\mathcal V = \bigoplus_\mu \mathbb C^{m_\mu} \otimes \mathcal V^\mu[/itex] and I understand this, but they then claim one can (always, as any linear map) rewrite A as [itex]A = [A^{\mu \nu}]_{\mu \nu}[/itex] "where [itex]A^{\mu \nu}[/itex] is a linear map of [itex]\mathbb C^{m_\nu} \otimes \mathcal V^\nu[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb C^{m_\mu} \otimes \mathcal V^\mu[/itex]."

I don't understand the nature of this decomposition/rewriting. Note that this rewriting has to be possible for any A, it doesn't use any special properties of A (that comes later in the proof).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This seems to be an extremely obtuse way of writing the matrix of A in a given basis (indexed by \mu in the domain and by \nu in the range).

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    Writing a matrix in a given basis is possible, but they also fix the codomain for each part of the domain (it seems); I don't see why that is possible.

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do they explicitly state what they mean by [itex]\mathcal V^\mu[/itex]?

6. Jan 18, 2012 #5
    Simply different vector spaces labelled by mu, it's as general as that.

7. Jan 18, 2012 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, so they are just writing A in terms of a given basis.

For simplicity, let's suppose [itex]V = V^1 \oplus V^2[/itex]. Then, with respect to this decomposition, we can write
    [tex]A = \begin{pmatrix} A^{11} & A^{12} \\ A^{21} & A^{22}\end{pmatrix}.[/tex]
    Here A^{11} will take V^1 to V^1, and A^{12} will take V^2 to V^1, etc.

8. Jan 18, 2012 #7
    Oh that makes sense, thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook