What Dye Absorbs Strongly Around 490nm for UV/VIS Spectrophotometry?

• Thread starter lostminty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specific
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a dye that strongly absorbs around 490nm for a urine sampling system using UV/VIS spectrophotometry. The speaker mentions difficulty in finding data from dye manufacturers and shares that beta-carotene and fluoresceine both have absorption peaks in that range. A suggestion is made to look into SDA4371, which has an absorption max at 488nm.
lostminty
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a dye that absorbs strongly around the 490nm range. Sort of a red/orange I guess. I cannot find a lot of data on absorbency by dye manufacturers, will begin emailing them shortly. Key word searches tend to bring up dye absorbency in relation to materials not light

The purpose of this is to create a standard for a urine sampling system that uses UV/VIS spectrophotmetry.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

This is the uv-vis spectrum of beta-carotene (the orange compound in carrots). You can see an absorption peak between 400 and 500 nm. Fluoresceine has an an absorption peak in that area too, but it is a fluorescent dye which might make it unsuitable for this purpose.

I hope this helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
That did, thank you.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you are looking for a dye with specific absorbance properties for a UV/VIS spectrophotometry application. Have you considered using a spectrophotometer to measure the absorbance of different dyes in the 490nm range? This could help you identify potential candidates for your project.

In addition, it may be helpful to contact dye manufacturers directly to inquire about their products' absorbance properties. They may have more detailed information that could assist you in your search.

Another option could be to consult with a chemist or materials scientist who specializes in dyes and their properties. They may have some insights or recommendations for your project.

Best of luck in your search for the perfect dye for your application. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or need additional assistance.

Related to What Dye Absorbs Strongly Around 490nm for UV/VIS Spectrophotometry?

What is a dye?

A dye is a colored substance that is used to impart color to materials such as fabrics, paper, or hair.

What is the purpose of looking for a specific dye?

The purpose of looking for a specific dye is to find a dye that will produce a desired color for a specific material or application.

What factors should be considered when choosing a specific dye?

Some factors to consider when choosing a specific dye include the type of material to be dyed, the desired color, the level of colorfastness needed, and the method of application.

How can I find a specific dye?

You can find a specific dye by researching different dye manufacturers and suppliers, checking color charts and dye catalogs, and consulting with experts in the field.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a specific dye?

Yes, it is important to follow the recommended safety precautions when using any dye. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly disposing of any leftover dye or dyeing materials.