What Dye Absorbs Strongly Around 490nm for UV/VIS Spectrophotometry?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lostminty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Specific
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
lostminty
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a dye that absorbs strongly around the 490nm range. Sort of a red/orange I guess. I cannot find a lot of data on absorbency by dye manufacturers, will begin emailing them shortly. Key word searches tend to bring up dye absorbency in relation to materials not light

The purpose of this is to create a standard for a urine sampling system that uses UV/VIS spectrophotmetry.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org


This is the uv-vis spectrum of beta-carotene (the orange compound in carrots). You can see an absorption peak between 400 and 500 nm. Fluoresceine has an an absorption peak in that area too, but it is a fluorescent dye which might make it unsuitable for this purpose.

I hope this helped.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person