What effect would accelerated electrons have in the air?

• Thread starter member 656954
  • Start date
I've been reading about semiconductor laser-driven particle accelerators over the years, and think they would make an interesting future-tech privacy screen...possibly. My design is along the lines illustrated by the diagram, but I'm wondering what actual effect accelerated electrons would have in the air. A quick search suggests nothing good, though, with generation of "X‐rays with photon energies up to 1 MeV" as an example.

Given this is sci-fi, I'm happy to apply artistic license, but if the people within are going to electrocuted, or sheeted with X-rays, then that might be a plot device carried too far :nb)

PrivacyCurtainConcept.png

(In my story I've also a circular rug that absorbs (grounds?) the electrons.)

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
but I'm wondering what actual effect accelerated electrons would have in the air

That's pretty much what lightning is.

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt
That's pretty much what lightning is.

Thanks @Vanadium 50, that's what I hoped would not be the obvious answer. Which suggests it's not possible to 'shepherd' electrons to the ground in the directed way I imagined. Instead, my device would probably be more like a Van de Graaff generator, spitting off random discharges all over the place :biggrin:

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I'm afraid once you have breakdown, you're not going to have any control over where the electrons go. They will find their own way. As for x-rays, you get them from lightning too.

Shazam!

stefan r
Science Advisor
Check out the band Arc Attack. They do cover songs using Tesla coils, Faraday cages, and robots.

Suggested for: What effect would accelerated electrons have in the air?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views