1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What engineering field uses the most Physics?

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    I am interested in Classical Mechanics and the Universe

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2
    If you can handle the math, go Physics first, then EE.
    Bob S (a retired physicist)

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3
    I was kind of worried about the difficulty of Physics, engineering or computer science seem to be ever so slightly easier...

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4
    Engineering Physics i think is the answer.

6. Apr 3, 2009 #5
    my school doesn't offer that, except to graduate school students

7. Apr 3, 2009 #6
    Mechanical Engineering

classical physics at its finest.

8. Apr 3, 2009 #7
    What are you afraid of? If you are interested in physics, study physics.

9. Apr 10, 2009 #8
    How can this question best be approached? All of our usual engineering disciplines are basically derived from Physics: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aeronautical, Aerospace Engineering, Nuclear Engineering - - - none of these would exist without Physics. (You might look at Systems Engineering and Chemical Engineering a bit differently, but not totally. Remember, Chemistry itself is based in Physics - - - and you might look at physics as based in Mathematics.) The distinction between Physics and the Engineering disciplines is the intended result. Physics is aimed at advancing the science itself; Engineering is aimed at using that science for the advancement of the living conditions of humanity. As such, the tools (mainly math) used by the two communities is slightly different. One leans toward those that lead more toward deriving and explaining the science, and the other leans toward those that best apply it (in other words, shortcuts). In the end, they are essentially the same. An Engineer can work in the fields of Physics and a Physicist can perform as an Engineer - - - though they occasionally take snipes at each other - - - mostly in jest. Finally, I agree with one of the earlier insertions. If you have the time (most engineering students probably don't), by all means take General Physics first. It will make most engineering disciplines clearer. (The same, by the way, goes for Chemistry - - - it is easier if Physics is taken first. The problem here is that most students find Physics the more difficult, probably because it requires us to unlearn some of our youthful notions.)

KM

10. Apr 11, 2009 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe you could tell more about your situation. I might take a guess you are interested in physics and technology, but have found an actual physics class to be rather difficult. So you'd like to pursue an engineering degree because of your interest in technology.

But I am only guessing here. Also, are you supposed to declare a major soon?

You may just have to take several introductory engineering classes to find out which interests you the most. If I had to, I would suggest mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering, since they are rather diverse. After 1 semester of introductory classes in those 3, you'll have a much better idea of which interests you the most.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook