1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly do the signs <=> and => mean?

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1

ehj

I don't seem to be able to find a clear answer to this question on the internet. My maths teacher today said that (simplified): b=0 => 0=0 where you multiplied with 0 on both sides. I thought that b=0 <=> 0=0 , but can't explain why, and don't know which is correct, because I don't know, exactly, what the signs mean.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    A=>B means A implies B: if A is true then B is true;

A<=>B means A implies B and B implies A.

As for your examples, what is b..??

The statement b=0 => 0=0 doesn't make much sense to me; it's true if b actually is zero and false otherwise, but what are you trying to say with this formula?

The same goes for the statement b=0 <=> 0=0.

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The statement

P <=> Q

means the same thing as the pair of statements

P => Q
    Q => P

You are incorrect; that implication is, in fact, true. The truth of P=>Q does not require P to be true; it only requires that it is impossible for P to be true and Q to be false simultaneously. If you want to assert that both P and Q were true, then you would assert "P and Q".

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    You're right of course, thanks.
    What could me make forget about "ex falso quodlibet".:smile:

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    Basically, A=>B means if we know that A is true then B is true, also if we know that B is false we can show that A is false. If all we know is that A is false we aren't certain about B, and if all we know is that B is true we aren't certain about A.

A <=> B means they are either both true or both false.

7. Apr 23, 2008 #6

ehj

Is it possible to show what you're saying with an example?
    For instance (sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1 is true, so can I write

(sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1 <=> 0=0

?

8. Apr 23, 2008 #7
    With Q being "0=0", wouldn't that mean that P can be anything you want, a part from a literal assignment of "0=1" or "0 != 0"?

7+7=14 => 0=0
    7+7=15 => 0=0

Wouldn't a statement like that be totally meaningless?

k

9. Apr 23, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since both sides are true and anything=> True, yes, that is a trivially true statement.

10. Apr 23, 2008 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The statement
    0=1 => 0=0​
    is, in fact, a true statement about integers. You might not think it a useful statement, but that doesn't change the fact it's a true statement.

The utility becomes more obvious when you generalize: you know that
    x = y => 2x = 2y​
    is a true statement, right? It's an obvious (and easily proven) statement about integers! So, it must be true if it happens that x=0 and y=1.

That's why it's a "conditional" clause -- i.e. an "if-then" statement. Suppose that we know P=>Q is true. This tells us that, if P happens to be true, then Q must also be true. But if P doesn't happen to be true, it tells us nothing.

11. Apr 25, 2008 #10
    Many good points Hurkyl, thank you. I get why it is true.

But, assuming the OP didn't mangle his professors point in the process of posting this, why would he put a self evident truth or axiom (depending on how you look at it) as Q? (0 = 0, or in English; A thing is equal to itself). You cannot use math to prove 0 = 0. Since math requires that a = a in the first place, that would be a circular argument.

So, I dont see the point of putting 0 = 0 in Q.

k

12. Apr 25, 2008 #11
    (sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1 <= 0=0

never seen such an elegant proof of (sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?