1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Mapping plane/set into/onto itself (What exactly does this mean?)

1. Apr 12, 2017 #1
    I've seen in books things like "G is mapping of plane into itself", "map of a set into itself" or "map of set/plane onto itself".
    What exactly to map into/onto itself means? Do this means that when G maps into itself we get G as a result or we can also associate points on G to other points as long as they are on G?
    If we have set S={1,2,3} what will mean to map it into itself?
    The flowing thing?
    1->1 S→S
    2->2 S2→S2
    3->3 S3→S3

Will "f:S→S where the image is S itself (i.e f(S)=S)" will be the correct notation(is there difference between the two, if they are correct at all?)

Some simple examples will be helpful.

Most of things I wrote probably make no sense, but I'm totally confused and google don't want to assist when I search about "mapping" and "maps". Giving me the right thing to search for or where to read about these things will be highly appreciated.
    I also suppose that onto and into have different meaning, but I don't know what.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reply!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a set S, and a function ('map') f whose domain is S, we say f 'maps S into itself' if f(x) is in S for every x in S.
    We say f 'maps S onto itself' if the above applies and the additional condition applies that for every y in S there is some x in S such that y=f(x). This can also be written as f(S)=S.

There are maps from a set onto itself that do not map each element to itself. For instance, with your three-element set, the map f such that
    ##f(S_1)=S_2##
    ##f(S_2)=S_3##
    ##f(S_3)=S_1##
    maps S onto itself.

Maps of a set onto itself are sometimes called 'permutations'.

4. Apr 13, 2017 #3
    Thank you for the answer! I think that I understand it now. IDK why in all the books where I checked it wasn't explained that simple (it wasnt explained at all)...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted