Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly does it mean for two points to be barycentrically independent?

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Hello, I've been studying some linear algebra, and i am stuck on a certain definition.
    The book i am using says that points{p0,p1,...,pk} in a vector space V are barycentrically independent if and only if the vectors {p1-p0,p2-p0,...,pk-p0} are linearly independent. The problem i have is the definition for two points. The definition in the book seems to work only for k≥2, but what about k=1? I'm sorry if I am missing something completely obvious, and i'll check more carefully if this is the case.

Sincerely,
    mathguy15

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two (distinct) points are automatically barycentrically independent, in the same way that a single (nonzero) point in automatically linearly independent

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    so two points are barycentrically independent if and only if the vector they form is nonzero?

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

6. Dec 5, 2011 #5
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook