1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other What Exactly is an Introductory Level for Quantum Mechanics?

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1
    I recently bought this book: https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Elementary-Particle-Physics-Alessandro/dp/1107050405/

In the preface it says that I'm assumed to have already learned quantum mechanics (including angular momentum and Dirac equation) and nuclear physics at an introductory level. What does that mean? Do they mean like a sophomore introductory modern physics course? If so, can I just read and do problems from books like University Physics with Modern Physics (Young and Freedman) or Modern Physics (Kenneth Krane)? Would that give me sufficient knowledge? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Typically, you can't just a read a text at a level above where you should be, and then go do problems from a text at your level. You won't get much from reading the book unless you meet the prerequisites. I don't know if university physics or modern physics will cover what you need, these notes should help you get an idea: http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/130_notes.html

4. Mar 22, 2016 #3
    I meant reading and doing problems from the modern physics books before reading and doing problems from the Elementary Particles book. Apologies for not being clear.

Thanks for the link by the way.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted