What Exactly is an Introductory Level for Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: I'll check it out. In summary, the book is meant for someone who has already learned quantum mechanics and nuclear physics at an introductory level.
Amrator
I recently bought this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107050405/?tag=pfamazon01-20

In the preface it says that I'm assumed to have already learned quantum mechanics (including angular momentum and Dirac equation) and nuclear physics at an introductory level. What does that mean? Do they mean like a sophomore introductory modern physics course? If so, can I just read and do problems from books like University Physics with Modern Physics (Young and Freedman) or Modern Physics (Kenneth Krane)? Would that give me sufficient knowledge? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amrator said:
I recently bought this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107050405/?tag=pfamazon01-20

In the preface it says that I'm assumed to have already learned quantum mechanics (including angular momentum and Dirac equation) and nuclear physics at an introductory level. What does that mean? Do they mean like a sophomore introductory modern physics course? If so, can I just read and do problems from books like University Physics with Modern Physics (Young and Freedman) or Modern Physics (Kenneth Krane)? Would that give me sufficient knowledge? Thanks.

Typically, you can't just a read a text at a level above where you should be, and then go do problems from a text at your level. You won't get much from reading the book unless you meet the prerequisites. I don't know if university physics or modern physics will cover what you need, these notes should help you get an idea: http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/130_notes.html

Student100 said:
Typically, you can't just a read a text at a level above where you should be, and then go do problems from a text at your level. You won't get much from reading the book unless you meet the prerequisites. I don't know if university physics or modern physics will cover what you need, these notes should help you get an idea: http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/130_notes.html
I meant reading and doing problems from the modern physics books before reading and doing problems from the Elementary Particles book. Apologies for not being clear.

Thanks for the link by the way.

Last edited:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. What is an introductory level for quantum mechanics?

An introductory level for quantum mechanics is a course or study that introduces the basic concepts and principles of quantum mechanics to students who have little or no prior knowledge in this field.

3. What topics are typically covered in an introductory level for quantum mechanics?

Topics that are typically covered in an introductory level for quantum mechanics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantization, quantum states and operators, and the Schrödinger equation.

4. Why is it important to understand quantum mechanics?

Understanding quantum mechanics is important because it is the foundation of modern physics and has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also helps in understanding the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level.

5. Do I need a strong background in math to study quantum mechanics?

While a strong background in math can be helpful in understanding quantum mechanics, it is not a requirement. Many introductory level courses provide the necessary mathematical tools and concepts to understand the principles of quantum mechanics.