What exactly is meant by a phase in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the phase angle represents a particular point in a periodic behavior, and can be thought of as a rotation around a circle.
ASGTech
I understand this is probably a very stupid question to some of the people on here, but none the less i would still like to know. It hasn't been explained very well to me.
I have a vague understanding that it is a number that you collect for each possible path? Please correct/elaborate on this if possible?
I was also told the phase represents the position in the cycle of a wave, whether it is at a crest or trough or some precise position in between. How do find the position it represents and how can you label an infinite number of paths with phases? How do you find the position in the cycle of a wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phase relationships are determined theoretically by taking the Fourier transform of the fields or waves, and experimentally using interferometers.

This might be interesting:

Book review: Neutron Interferometry: Lessons in Experimental Quantum Mechanics
http://www.trincoll.edu/~silverma/reviews_commentary/neutron_interferometry.html

A phase of anything is one part of a periodic behavior. Take the moon phases as an example, it goes full - half - crescent - half - full , etc in a periodic manner, and a particular part of that cycle, say for example the full moon is a phase of the whole cycle. And roughly a month later the same phase happens again. The same is true for any periodic behavior, including waves, that go between crests and troughs. We then characterize a full cycle as a number, like 360 degrees or 2*pi radians, which gives us more accuracy in determining where in the cycle we are. The starting point is arbitrary, and we could for example choose a crest in a wave to correspond to 0 degrees, and from that it would follow that the trough would be at 180 degrees.

Waves are often encoutered in physics, especially in quantum physics, coming from the wave nature of objects, and when we talk about a phase angle here, we talk about exactly the same thing as I mentioned above: a particular part of a periodic behavior compared to a chosen starting/reference point.

I hope that somewhat simple/fundamental explanation helped.

Thank you all for your Input ! I appreciate it.

1. What is a phase in Quantum Mechanics?

A phase in Quantum Mechanics is a concept used to describe the state of a quantum system. It is a mathematical representation of the complex numbers that describe the amplitude and relative position of a particle or wave. In simpler terms, it is a way to quantify the behavior and properties of particles on a microscopic scale.

2. How does a phase differ from a state in Quantum Mechanics?

A state in Quantum Mechanics refers to the complete description of a quantum system, including its position, momentum, and other physical properties. A phase, on the other hand, only describes the relative position and amplitude of a particle or wave. In other words, a phase is a subset of a state, providing a more specific and detailed description of a quantum system.

3. Can a phase be observed or measured in Quantum Mechanics?

No, a phase cannot be directly observed or measured in Quantum Mechanics. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of particles and waves on a microscopic scale. However, the effects of a phase can be observed through the interference patterns of particles or waves, which can be measured using specialized equipment.

4. How does a phase affect the behavior of particles in Quantum Mechanics?

The phase of a particle or wave determines its probability of being in a certain position or state. It also affects the interference patterns of particles, which can lead to phenomena such as diffraction and superposition. In general, the phase plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of particles in Quantum Mechanics.

5. Can a phase be changed or manipulated in Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, a phase can be changed or manipulated in Quantum Mechanics. This can be achieved through various methods, such as applying external fields or using specialized devices called phase shifters. By changing the phase, the behavior and properties of particles or waves can be altered, leading to different outcomes and phenomena.