1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What feild should I prepare for?

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    Im not even out of high school yet, but Im really curious about what people on here think i should be working towards in my studies. I have close to no idea what i want to do when Im older but I know I love math and physics. They just come really easy to me, at school when I take precal and reg high school physics Ive never had anything less than an a. but at home after im done with school my hobbies are basically school, I have calculus and college calculus based physics books that I do for fun and preperation for college,(ron larson calculus, halliday, resnick physics.). But asside from loving the subject I dont know what I want to do career wise, and everyone I know in college thinks i should go into a computer related feild or something engineering physics. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2012 #2
    Nobody knows, but you will be able to experiment and see what you like and you still have time to figure it out. Good luck

4. Jul 4, 2012 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You may want to avoid a career as a copy editor.

Seriously though, the only effective method I know for figuring this kind of thing out is trial and error. If you're in high school get a part-time and/or sumer job to (a) help you start saving for univeristy and (b) start gaining some work experience.

I would also start visiting university campuses. Go on tours. Talk with current students. Learn what their classes are like and what kinds of projects they work on - particularly in their senior years.

Something else to try is job-shadowing. Go into peoples' work environments and see how they spend their days. Your high school guidance department will likely be able to help you out with this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook