How should I prepare for Berkeley's Math 1A & Physics 8A?

In summary, a high school sophomore is taking Math 1A and Physics 8A during the summer after getting A's in Physics II and advanced Algebra 2 + Trig. They are worried about the difficulty of university level courses and have two weeks before the start to prepare. They plan on working through a calculus textbook and are seeking advice on how to prepare for both courses and how difficult they will be. They also ask for advice for after the courses start. An expert recommends various resources for studying, regular practice, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. They also suggest limiting social media usage and utilizing different times of the day for studying and revising.
drawded
I just finished my sophomore year of high school and I'm taking Math 1A and physics 8A this summer. I got A's for both my physics II (school doesn't offer AP phys) and advanced algebra 2 + trig (I think it's equivalent to precalc, highest level offered in my grade) classes, but I feel like the stuff i learn at my school is really watered down, so I'm a bit anxious taking my first ever university level course. Also I read online that Math 1A is a difficult weeder course so that adds to the anticipated difficulty as well.

I've got around 2 weeks before the courses start, how should I spend this time to prepare? I downloaded a calculus textbook from openstax and I'm thinking maybe I should work through it as much as possible on my own before the course starts, is that a good idea? I've never taken calculus before. What should I do to prepare for physics 8a? How difficult are these courses? Can you give me some advice for after the courses start?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Two weeks isn't much time. If it is sufficient for you to make your way through the book, then it's probably not worth doing. You could download the openstax books as a source to look up things if you get stuck somewhere. Therefore it might be better to know where in the books can be found what. Although the content of your classes will be pretty much the same everywhere, it is also the professor's style you will have to get used to. So I'd say, relax and see what will come. Here's a nice interview of a mathematician who addressed students with a recommendation of how to study. It might be more valuable then another theorem learnt:
http://www.ams.org/publications/journals/notices/201707/rnoti-p718.pdf

The most difficult part of the transition school - university has been in my experience the complete different point of view, and not so much the contents. Whereas in school we basically solved exercises and learned methods to do so, at university the emphasis is on proofs. If you're not used to them, read some, e.g. the mean value theorem or the theorem of Bolzano-Weierstraß. Another possibility is to have a look on a book about proofs, e.g. http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/BookOfProof.pdf

drawded said:
I just finished my sophomore year of high school and I'm taking Math 1A and physics 8A this summer. I got A's for both my physics II (school doesn't offer AP phys) and advanced algebra 2 + trig (I think it's equivalent to precalc, highest level offered in my grade) classes, but I feel like the stuff i learn at my school is really watered down, so I'm a bit anxious taking my first ever university level course. Also I read online that Math 1A is a difficult weeder course so that adds to the anticipated difficulty as well.

I've got around 2 weeks before the courses start, how should I spend this time to prepare? I downloaded a calculus textbook from openstax and I'm thinking maybe I should work through it as much as possible on my own before the course starts, is that a good idea? I've never taken calculus before. What should I do to prepare for physics 8a? How difficult are these courses? Can you give me some advice for after the courses start?

Thanks

My daughter is also at UC Berkeley as a freshman in the college of engineering. This the advise I gave her for studying Physics-

There is a lot of stuff available in form of books and videos to learn from. I recommend the following and you can pick what you think is good for you-
  1. Start with Youtube (all the following are available for free on YT)
    1. Khan academy videos for the topic you’re studying,
    2. follow up Crash Course for the same topic
    3. watch Walter Lewin Lecture videos (MIT freeware)
    4. you can also watch Yale lectures by Prof. Ramamurthy
  2. Read Halliday and Resnik, Fundamentals of Physics (for conceptual understanding and Numerical problems)
  3. Read Sears’ and Zemansky’s University Physics (for conceptual understanding in case you need to explore a topic beyond Resnick.
  4. Do a lot of mock tests. I suggest at least one in a week
  5. Find best way of solving problems
  6. Do not leave a problem till you get conceptual clarity around the solution
  7. Practice is the key
  8. Apart from this,
    1. I would strongly recommend proper nutrition and some exercise. It plays big part in keeping you motivated
    2. Remove social media from your mobile phone
    3. Have designated time to check social messages. If possible just get our of social media
    4. Make best use of time of the day and you need to get creative about this. Mornings to noon, when your brain is at peak performance, should be reserved to do mock tests or tackle difficult topics that you need to master. Afternoons should be used to do revision of something that you are familiar with. Evenings again can be used to work around subjects that you may be a little familiar
    5. When in a taxi, watch video lectures on YT
    6. Do not burn yourself out, indulge in something that you like. Of-course in moderation
    7. Get 7 hours of sleep every day. Your productivity will be high of you get adequate sleep
    8. Relax one day before the exam and get atleast 8 hours of sleep

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman

1. What are the required prerequisites for Math 1A and Physics 8A at Berkeley?

The prerequisites for Math 1A at Berkeley are a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and pre-calculus. For Physics 8A, students should have a basic understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying for Math 1A and Physics 8A?

This can vary for each individual, but on average students should plan to spend at least 6-8 hours per week studying for each class. It is important to review material regularly and not wait until the last minute to study for exams.

3. Are there any recommended study resources for Math 1A and Physics 8A at Berkeley?

Yes, the math and physics departments at Berkeley may provide recommended textbooks, practice problems, and online resources for students to use. It is also helpful to form study groups with classmates and attend office hours for extra support.

4. Is there a specific approach or study method that works best for these courses?

It is important to attend lectures, actively participate in class, and take thorough notes. Practice problems and studying regularly are also key to success in these courses. It may also be helpful to use visual aids, such as diagrams and graphs, to better understand concepts.

5. Are there any tips for staying organized and managing the workload for these courses?

It is important to stay on top of assignments and due dates by using a planner or calendar. Breaking up studying and assignments into smaller, manageable chunks can also help with time management. Additionally, seeking help from professors or teaching assistants if feeling overwhelmed can be beneficial in managing the workload.