What field will be listed on my PhD certificate in the UK?

• Math
  • Thread starter SchroedingersLion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Phd
In summary, the conversation discussed a new position at a CDT in the UK focused on mathematical modelling and computation. The first year of courses and the thesis will primarily cover applied mathematics. The question arose about whether the field of study would be included in the PhD certificate, with the concern that a longer title like "mathematical modelling and computation" may sound strange to employers. It was suggested to seek clarification from the department about what would be included on the certificate.
SchroedingersLion
Greetings,

so I just got a position at a pretty good CDT in the UK, focussed on "mathematical modelling and computation". Participating students and supervisors come from pure and applied mathematics, but also theoretical physics, chemistry and so on. The focus of the first year of courses and also of the following thesis lies mostly on applied mathematics. The thesis will be written in in one of the departments of the participating supervisors.

Is the field of study typically included in the PhD certificate (in the UK)? Or only the thesis title? I was just wondering wether I would 'officially' get a PhD in "mathematical modelling and computation" or, depending on my thesis department, "mathematics" or "physics".
Because from my point of view, "mathematics" or "physics" sounds better from an employer's perspective, as they know exactly what's it about, wheras a long title like "mathematical modelling and computation" might sound strange to them.
Maybe I am overthinking this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's something that's going to be institution- and program-specific, so this would be a question that would be best answered from within your department.

1. What determines the field listed on a PhD certificate in the UK?

The field listed on a PhD certificate in the UK is determined by the subject area of your research and the department in which you completed your PhD program.

2. Can I choose the field listed on my PhD certificate?

In most cases, the field listed on your PhD certificate cannot be chosen by the student. It is determined by the university based on the subject area of your research and the department in which you completed your program.

3. Will my PhD certificate list a specific subfield within my chosen field?

It is possible that your PhD certificate may list a specific subfield within your chosen field, depending on the university's policies and the specific focus of your research.

4. Can I change the field listed on my PhD certificate after graduation?

Once your PhD certificate has been issued, it is not possible to change the field listed on it. However, you may be able to add a notation or mention of a specific subfield in your CV or other professional documents.

5. How important is the field listed on my PhD certificate for future career opportunities?

The field listed on your PhD certificate can be important for future career opportunities, as it reflects the subject area of your expertise and research. However, it is not the only factor considered by employers and other academic institutions.