1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What fields would an MS in Physics cover?

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    I am a Mechanical engineering student planning to do masters in physics next year. I am interested in astrophysics and astronomy, but classical and quantum mechanics also interests me.If I take admission into a masters degree program in physics, would I be able to specialize in these fields?What are other post graduate courses in astronomy and astrophysics?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The US is somewhat different from other countries in that a Physics MS program is rarely a terminal degree. We are a MS-only department, and our programs can be considered pre-professional: the coursework is highly specific. There are some MS programs that are aimed to get students better prepared for a PhD program, sometimes called 'bridge programs', but in the US, the overwhelming majority of Physics MS degrees are earned en-route to a PhD (and this includes people who drop out of the PhD program with an MS degree).

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3
    I did not mention
    sorry man I did not mention I am from India, I was asking generally.The reason I asked this is that I want to experience more and learn more. If I get a masters here in India, would I be able to do PhD from U.S.? Also is there anything like a Dual PhD, where I can learn and research on different subjects? I know this might sound stupid, please bear with me. :frown::nb):smile::wink::bow:

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I see no reason why you would not be able to matriculate to the US with a MS degree from India. Every program is different, and I can't comment on if you will get 'credit' for those course or have to start over.

Dual PhD- I have never heard of anything like that. Perhaps the closest is a MD-PhD program, but that's not what you are referring to.

6. Nov 12, 2015 #5
    what I meant by dual PhD is that can research studies be carried out on different subjects simultaneously?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook