What Force is Required to Hold Up a Partner on a Swinging Circle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter spidey12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Weird
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
spidey12
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A man hanging upside down is holding a partner who weighs 565 N. Assume that the partner moves on a circle that has a radius of 6.50 m. At a swinging speed of 4.40 m/s, what force must the man apply to his partner in the straight-down position?

Homework Equations



I'm at a loss.

The Attempt at a Solution



but I am pretty sure that at the bottom of the circle the man holding up the other man must hold up a force=mg where m is the mass of the bottom partner. Therefore F=565.

Am I being asked the centripedial force?

I tried F(centripedal)= (525/9.8)*(4.4)2 and then divide that by the radius 6.5.

I got 160 which is not the correct answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The upside-down man exerts an upward force towards the centre of the circle. The weight of his partner is downwards. The resultant of those 2 forces provides the centripetal force needed to make him move at that speed.
 
rock.freak667 said:
The upside-down man exerts an upward force towards the centre of the circle. The weight of his partner is downwards. The resultant of those 2 forces provides the centripetal force needed to make him move at that speed.

I keep getting 160 :(

Fc=mv2/r

Is that not correct?
 
spidey12 said:
I keep getting 160 :(

Fc=mv2/r

Is that not correct?

Ok. I solved it. Thanks to the one person who helped me.