What geometry theorem is used in this figure?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining a geometry theorem that can be used to state that 8/4 = x/6 and whether or not the given triangle is a right triangle. It is concluded that the triangle is not a right triangle and the theorem in question is the triangle angle bisector theorem. The conversation also includes discussion on the importance of clear and accurate drawings in geometry problems.
barryj said:
You had best get another calculator.
My calculator is fine. If that was a right angle, the length of ##x## would be 12.8062484748657.
(And the angle would not be bisected to give a partitioning of 4 and 6. Although, I didn't calculate what they should be.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

After some thread cleanup, the thread will remain closed. Thank you everybody for helping the OP with his question.

[Mentor Note -- OP has requested that this clarification post be added to the end of this closed thread]

The moderator closed part 1 before I could post the requested theorem. I have attached the figure and a copy of the theorem from a geometry book for those that are interested.

Attachments

• img261.jpg
    img261.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 95
  • img262.jpg
    img262.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator: