1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other What GPA is this percentage equivalent to?

1. Nov 15, 2016 #1
    I imagine there's no simple answer to this, but I'm wondering what tier graduate schools I would be applying to next year. Im in third year so I still have over a year before applications, but I'm curious. My overall grade is 90% at UBC. I'll have about a year and a half of research experience when I apply.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2016 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You can assume a strict scaling using percentages of 90,80,70,60 corresponding to minimums of A, B, C, D. Anything below 60% may be taken as F. Just understand that scaling may differ among different institutions.

4. Nov 17, 2016 #3

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Vague details will get you vague answers.
    Actually there is a simple answer to convert % or letter grade to GPA. An A=4, B=3, etc.... As far as %, anything over 90% is a GPA of 4, 80-89% is a 3. etc....
    However, you could have a 90% average, but still have a GPA of ie 3.25. How? You have 4 classes, 3 with an average of 99% and another class with a 63%,(a D or a 1 point GPA). Well, mathematically, the average would be 90%, but your true GPA could range all over the place as your number of credits carries weight and a D is calculated as a single 1 GPA value. If all the classes were of equal weight, ie 3 credits to simplify my math, the actual GPA would be 3.25.

5. Nov 17, 2016 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What I meant to say was like CalcNerd was suggesting. 90% to 100% means grade A for average 4; 80 to 89% for grade B for average 3., and like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted