1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What graduate college is best for me?

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    I'm a junior right now, I have a 3.96 GPA and I'm a math and physics major with a computer science minor. Alright, now that that's out of the way, I'm starting to look into graduate schools now. A few restrictions I have, I live in Nassau County, on Long Island; so I'm looking for schools within about an hour of here, and I have to commute (train or car), not dorm. And before I forget, I'm looking to go for mechanical engineering. I have begun to look into Stony Brook and Columbia so far, are there any other higher end ones I should be looking at?

Thanks in advanced!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be expanding your geographical search is what you should be doing. Graduate school even more so than undergraduate programs are a matter of fit. You need to find one where they do research in the area you are interested in doing research, and that's not a given for any random school. Limiting yourself to within 1 hour of your home is absolutely limiting yourself educationally and potentially professionally.

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    I agree with you, unfortunately I don't have much of a choice in the matter for other reasons. I'm just looking to see if I'm missing any schools in this location that are good schools.

5. Apr 16, 2013 #4
    There is this website called Grad School shopper,http://www.gradschoolshopper.com, where you can search your state / pretty much anything related to physics. What I'd also do is once searching, go onto the school's website for additional information. Hopefully that'll do the trick. You should at least consider looking, as Bone mentioned, waiting can cost you greatly. Take roughly five minutes or so, it's never too late to start.

6. Apr 16, 2013 #5

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You might consider NYU as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook