What graduate college is best for me?

In summary, the individual is a junior with a 3.96 GPA majoring in math and physics and minoring in computer science. They are looking into graduate schools with a focus on mechanical engineering and have a few restrictions, such as living in Nassau County and needing to commute. They have begun looking into Stony Brook and Columbia, but are wondering if there are any other higher-end schools in the area. Another individual suggests expanding their geographical search and using a website called Grad School shopper to find potential schools. NYU is also mentioned as a possibility.
beatlesben
I'm a junior right now, I have a 3.96 GPA and I'm a math and physics major with a computer science minor. Alright, now that that's out of the way, I'm starting to look into graduate schools now. A few restrictions I have, I live in Nassau County, on Long Island; so I'm looking for schools within about an hour of here, and I have to commute (train or car), not dorm. And before I forget, I'm looking to go for mechanical engineering. I have begun to look into Stony Brook and Columbia so far, are there any other higher end ones I should be looking at?

Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be expanding your geographical search is what you should be doing. Graduate school even more so than undergraduate programs are a matter of fit. You need to find one where they do research in the area you are interested in doing research, and that's not a given for any random school. Limiting yourself to within 1 hour of your home is absolutely limiting yourself educationally and potentially professionally.

boneh3ad said:
You should be expanding your geographical search is what you should be doing. Graduate school even more so than undergraduate programs are a matter of fit. You need to find one where they do research in the area you are interested in doing research, and that's not a given for any random school. Limiting yourself to within 1 hour of your home is absolutely limiting yourself educationally and potentially professionally.

I agree with you, unfortunately I don't have much of a choice in the matter for other reasons. I'm just looking to see if I'm missing any schools in this location that are good schools.

beatlesben said:
I agree with you, unfortunately I don't have much of a choice in the matter for other reasons. I'm just looking to see if I'm missing any schools in this location that are good schools.

There is this website called Grad School shopper,http://www.gradschoolshopper.com, where you can search your state / pretty much anything related to physics. What I'd also do is once searching, go onto the school's website for additional information. Hopefully that'll do the trick. You should at least consider looking, as Bone mentioned, waiting can cost you greatly. Take roughly five minutes or so, it's never too late to start.

You might consider NYU as well.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate college?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a graduate college include the program offerings, faculty expertise, location, cost, and reputation of the college. You should also think about your career goals and how the college can help you achieve them.

2. How do I determine the quality of a graduate college?

The quality of a graduate college can be determined by looking at factors such as accreditation, rankings, research opportunities, job placement rates, and alumni success. It is also helpful to visit the campus and talk to current students and faculty to get a better understanding of the college's reputation.

3. Should I choose a graduate college based on its ranking?

While rankings can be a helpful tool in determining the quality of a graduate college, they should not be the sole factor in your decision. It is important to also consider the specific program you are interested in, the faculty and resources available, and your personal preferences and goals.

4. How important is the location of a graduate college?

The location of a graduate college can play a significant role in your overall experience. Consider factors such as the cost of living, access to internships and job opportunities, and the overall culture and atmosphere of the area. It is important to choose a location that will support your academic and personal growth.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when choosing a graduate college?

Some common mistakes to avoid when choosing a graduate college include only considering the college's reputation or ranking, not researching the specific program or faculty, and not visiting the campus or talking to current students. It is also important to carefully consider the cost and potential return on investment of attending a particular graduate college.