What happened to the number of thread views?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
Its a while since I've noticed that the number of views a thread has had, is not shown anymore. I think it was useful information. Is there a reason its not there anymore? Could you bring it back?
Thanks

Likes PhanthomJay

Answers and Replies

A year or two ago we decided total Likes was better information to display. I am interested to know what use view count has. However the feedback survey has shown more interest in views too. I am looking at possibilities. Stay tuned.

Had some time and got it done. Enjoy!

Likes anorlunda, dextercioby, ShayanJ and 2 others
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
If forum member X looks at a thread twice, does that count as 2 views ? If so, I think it would be more interesting to have a count of the number of distinct forum members who have viewed the thread.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I think it is numbered by log in session for active members and by IP and day for non-members.

If forum member X looks at a thread twice, does that count as 2 views ? If so, I think it would be more interesting to have a count of the number of distinct forum members who have viewed the thread.
It's total views, members and guest, and not unique. Unique would require a ton of data storage and processing for each view.

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Unique would require a ton of data storage and processing for each view.
Only a ton?

Only a ton?
A ton of electrons is a gigantic amount...

No, seriously: I don’t know any forum that counts unique thread views. It would also give a strong bias towards guests.

Suggested for: What happened to the number of thread views?

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies