What happened to the number of thread views?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the display of thread views in a forum. The person noticed that the number of views is no longer shown and wonders why. Another person explains that they decided to display total likes instead, but there has been interest in bringing back the view count. They have now implemented it, but it counts both members and guests and not unique views. The idea of counting unique views is discussed, but it is deemed impractical due to data storage and processing requirements.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Its a while since I've noticed that the number of views a thread has had, is not shown anymore. I think it was useful information. Is there a reason its not there anymore? Could you bring it back?
Thanks

Likes PhanthomJay
Physics news on Phys.org
A year or two ago we decided total Likes was better information to display. I am interested to know what use view count has. However the feedback survey has shown more interest in views too. I am looking at possibilities. Stay tuned.

Had some time and got it done. Enjoy!

Likes anorlunda, dextercioby, ShayanJ and 2 others
If forum member X looks at a thread twice, does that count as 2 views ? If so, I think it would be more interesting to have a count of the number of distinct forum members who have viewed the thread.

I think it is numbered by log in session for active members and by IP and day for non-members.

Stephen Tashi said:
If forum member X looks at a thread twice, does that count as 2 views ? If so, I think it would be more interesting to have a count of the number of distinct forum members who have viewed the thread.
It's total views, members and guest, and not unique. Unique would require a ton of data storage and processing for each view.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Unique would require a ton of data storage and processing for each view.
Only a ton?

Bystander said:
Only a ton?
A ton of electrons is a gigantic amount...

No, seriously: I don’t know any forum that counts unique thread views. It would also give a strong bias towards guests.

1. What is the significance of the number of thread views?

The number of thread views is a measure of the popularity and engagement of a particular thread or topic. It can indicate how many people are interested in the discussion and how much activity is happening within the thread.

2. Why did the number of thread views suddenly decrease?

There could be several reasons for a sudden decrease in the number of thread views, such as a technical issue or a change in the algorithm used to calculate the views. It could also be due to a decrease in interest or participation in the thread.

3. Can the number of thread views be manipulated?

It is possible for the number of thread views to be manipulated, but most platforms have measures in place to prevent this. Additionally, as a scientist, I cannot condone or support any attempts to manipulate data for personal gain.

4. How accurate is the number of thread views?

The accuracy of the number of thread views depends on the platform and its tracking methods. Some platforms may have more accurate tracking systems than others. However, it is important to note that the number of thread views should be used as a general indicator and not as an exact representation of the activity within a thread.

5. Is the number of thread views a reliable metric for measuring the success of a thread?

The number of thread views can be a useful metric for measuring the success of a thread, but it should not be the only factor considered. Other factors such as engagement, quality of discussion, and relevance of the topic should also be taken into account for a more comprehensive evaluation of a thread's success.