What happened to the number of thread views?

  • Topic: Complaint 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
2,802
Reaction score
605
Its a while since I've noticed that the number of views a thread has had, is not shown anymore. I think it was useful information. Is there a reason its not there anymore? Could you bring it back?
Thanks
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PhanthomJay
Physics news on Phys.org
A year or two ago we decided total Likes was better information to display. I am interested to know what use view count has. However the feedback survey has shown more interest in views too. I am looking at possibilities. Stay tuned.
 
If forum member X looks at a thread twice, does that count as 2 views ? If so, I think it would be more interesting to have a count of the number of distinct forum members who have viewed the thread.
 
Stephen Tashi said:
If forum member X looks at a thread twice, does that count as 2 views ? If so, I think it would be more interesting to have a count of the number of distinct forum members who have viewed the thread.
It's total views, members and guest, and not unique. Unique would require a ton of data storage and processing for each view.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Unique would require a ton of data storage and processing for each view.
Only a ton?
 
Bystander said:
Only a ton?
A ton of electrons is a gigantic amount...

No, seriously: I don’t know any forum that counts unique thread views. It would also give a strong bias towards guests.