What happens if you plant fennel seeds from a spice rack?

• Thread starter FeDeX_LaTeX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant
In summary: Pomatoes are not seeds, of course, so they are guaranteed to grow into the same variety, and the standard way to grow them is by replanting the potatoes. But they can be attacked by diseases carried by viruses, so saving your own seed is a bit risky in the long term, and the same viruses affect related plants such as tomatoes.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Or for that matter, any other types of seeds you find in spice bottles, such as coriander seeds or even cumin seeds?

They've probably been treated in some way, but would they grow at all? Unfortunately there's no garden centre or anything near my uni.

Physics news on Phys.org
In some countries, spices are allowed to be irradiated to kill pathogens. I'm not sure how this would affect a seed's germination, though.

AZ is right: you should try it and see what you get!

As well as the irradiation issue, many commercially grown crops are F1 hybrids. The seed may be naturally sterile, and if not they are unlikely to grow to be identical with the parent plants, or even to be similar to each other.

The seeds that you'd buy from a reputable seed company would be much cheaper than the price you pay for the spice. And they'll grow.

I don't know about seeds, but dried pulses (legumes) readily sprout when put into water. Do be aware of the F1 hybrids, the plant may not grow fruit like AlephZero mentioned.

Example of sprouted legumes:
20110404-145122-bean-sprouts-assorted.jpg

I've seen potatoes do that too. I've always wanted to try planting one.

I've grown potatoes and pulses when I was a kid, my kid brother tried some spices, they worked out (I think).

Monique said:
I don't know about seeds, but dried pulses (legumes) readily sprout when put into water. Do be aware of the F1 hybrids, the plant may not grow fruit like AlephZero mentioned.

Many legumes are self-pollinating (in some cases, even before the flowers open), so F1 hybridization is not a viable plant breeding technique. You can save seed from garden peas and beans and replant then for decades with no problem.

Algr said:
I've seen potatoes do that too. I've always wanted to try planting one.
Potatoes are not seeds, of course, so they are guaranteed to grow into the same variety, and the standard way to grow them is by replanting the potatoes. But they can be attacked by diseases carried by viruses, so saving your own seed is a bit risky in the long term, and the same viruses affect related plants such as tomatoes. (The viruses are harmless to humans, but they mess up the growth of the plants.)

Try planting two or three small potatoes in a bucket of Earth indoors in August and you will have new potatoes for Christmas dinner. The growing time is about 11 to 12 weeks. They need plenty of light but don't need high temperatures, so long as they are always above freezing.

Potato plants flower and set seeds (the fruits look like small tomatoes, but are highly poisonous!) but growing them from seed isn't practical.

AlephZero said:
Potato plants flower and set seeds (the fruits look like small tomatoes, but are highly poisonous!) but growing them from seed isn't practical.

I have always wanted to grow(/graft) these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomato

Question 1: Can I plant fennel seeds from a spice rack?

Yes, you can plant fennel seeds from a spice rack. However, the seeds may not be as viable as those specifically intended for planting.

Question 2: Will fennel seeds from a spice rack grow into edible fennel plants?

Yes, if the seeds are viable and planted correctly, they will grow into edible fennel plants. However, the quality and taste of the fennel may not be as good as those grown from specialized seeds.

Question 3: How do I plant fennel seeds from a spice rack?

Fennel seeds from a spice rack can be planted in a pot or directly in the ground. The seeds should be planted about 1/4 inch deep and kept moist until they germinate.

Question 4: How long does it take for fennel seeds from a spice rack to grow?

Fennel seeds from a spice rack can take anywhere from 7-21 days to germinate, depending on the quality of the seeds and growing conditions. It can take an additional 70-90 days for the plant to reach maturity and produce edible fennel bulbs.

Question 5: Can I use fennel seeds from a spice rack as a substitute for fennel bulbs in cooking?

No, fennel seeds and fennel bulbs have different flavors and textures, so they cannot be used interchangeably in cooking. Fennel seeds have a stronger licorice-like flavor, while fennel bulbs have a milder, sweeter taste.