1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to gravity in one dimension of space?

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1
    I recently heard that it was found how gravity would behave in different dimensions of space. Apparently, while in our 3 dimensions of space gravity is F= x/r^2, in 4 dimensions it would be F=x/r^3, so it would be weaker, and in 2 dimensions it would be F=x/r so it would be stronger.What it didn't say was what would happen in 1 dimension, it follows from the above that it would be F=x/r^-1, which simplifies to F=xr, which would indicate that gravity would get stronger as you went further away from the object. Is this what would happen? And if so does that mean gravity would become a repulsive force?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You skipped over a key integer. Hint: What integer is between -1 and +1?

4. Oct 8, 2013 #3
    Oh of course, so would it just be x/r^0 so x/1, so x. So then distance wouldn't change anything in 1 dimension

5. Oct 8, 2013 #4
    Um, actually, the integer x/r dr is xln(r). Which means the equation of gravity in one dimension would be:

f(r) = gravitational force = xln(r). So gravity would according to this increase with increased distance, something I find hard to believe. It means the further you are away, the stronger it'd pull, well until you get to a distance of 0, then it starts to push you away again... because ln(r)<0 if r<1. This is something similar to strong force, it's repulsive at a certain closeness, but if they stray too for from each other it becomes a very strong attractive force.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  6. Oct 8, 2013 #5
    I thought that gravity did not change with distance in 1 dimensional space?

7. Oct 8, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

It doesn't. Laplace's equation in one dimension for the gravitational potential exterior to a point mass is simply ##\frac{\mathrm{d} ^2 \varphi}{\mathrm{d} x^2} = 0## so ##\varphi = Ax + B## and ##g = - \frac{\mathrm{d} \varphi}{\mathrm{d} x} = -A##.

8. Oct 8, 2013 #7
    So I was wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook