What happens to σ (conductivity) when the permitivity is negative?

In summary, the textbook by Jin, "Theory and Computation of Electromagnetic Fields", discusses metamaterials and their dispersion relationship. When there are no losses in the material, the resistivity is assumed to be zero, resulting in the dispersion equation becoming equal to the propagation constant. However, it is unclear how the term jωμσ goes to zero and this is not explicitly stated by the author.
FrankJ777
Homework Statement
In my textbooks derivation of I don't understand what happend to jβ or σ when ε = -ε.
Relevant Equations
[tex] γ = sqrt{jωμ( jωε +σ ) = α + jβ [\tex]
We are using the textbook by Jin, "Theory and Comutation of Electromagnetic Fields".
In the section on metamaterialshe derives the dispersion relationship. He shows that when ε'= -ε & μ' = μ
then the dispersion equation [tex] γ =\sqrt{jωμ( jωε +σ )} = α + jβ [/tex] goes to
[tex] γ = α = ω \sqrt{μ'ε'} [/tex]
causing the plane wave to only attenuate in this medium.
I don't see what happens to the term [tex] jωμσ [/tex].
How does it go to zero?
Maybe we assume σ = 0, but I don't see it stated explicately, and in the next paragraph when he derives the dispersion relationship for double negative materials, the he gets [tex] γ = β = ω \sqrt{μ'ε'} [/tex]
with no real explanation of what is happening.
I'm sure I'm missing something, but not sure what it is.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
In this section the author assumes no losses in the material. That means the resistivity ##\sigma## is set to zero, as a simplifying assumption. Here's a quote: "However, let us ignore these losses and examine how a plane wave propagates in this type of medium."

1. What is the relationship between conductivity (σ) and permitivity when the permitivity is negative?

The relationship between conductivity and permitivity is inverse. This means that as the permitivity decreases (becomes more negative), the conductivity increases.

2. How does negative permitivity affect the conductivity of a material?

Negative permitivity decreases the resistance of a material, allowing for a higher conductivity.

3. Can materials with negative permitivity conduct electricity?

Yes, materials with negative permitivity can still conduct electricity. In fact, some materials with negative permitivity, such as metals, have high conductivity.

4. What are some examples of materials with negative permitivity?

Negative permitivity is commonly found in metals, semiconductors, and other conductive materials. It can also be artificially created in materials such as metamaterials.

5. How does the conductivity of a material change when its permitivity is negative?

As the permitivity of a material becomes more negative, the conductivity increases. This is due to the decrease in resistance, allowing for easier flow of electricity through the material.