What happens to the wave impedance of free space at ω=0?

In summary, the wave impedance in free space is given by Z=E/H=√μ0/ε0=377Ω and is frequency independent. When ω=0, there is a constant electric field but no induced magnetic field. In metals, the wave impedance becomes √jωμ/σ+jωε, which also goes to zero when ω=0. However, this is not possible as it would result in an infinite magnetic field. This formula only applies to planar electromagnetic waves and not to static fields or other setups. Therefore, the formula does not work for sinusoidal plane waves with ω=0 and cannot be derived for them. This is because static fields do not have to satisfy the usual
Shinji83
For a plane wave traveling in free space we know from Maxwell's equations that:

Z= E/H=√μ00 = 377Ω

The meaning of the wave impedance is that if we have an electric field oscillating with amplitude E0 in a medium (in this case the vacuum) a magnetic field will be induced with amplitude E0/Z.
Now this impedance is frequency independent so my doubt is what happens when ω=0?
In a static situation I can create an electrostatic field without having a magnetic field at all.
But the intrinsic impedance tells me that a static(?) magnetic field will be induced anyway.
How's that possible?

Also in metals the wave impedance becomes:
√jωμ/σ+jωε

So for ω=0 the impedance goes to zero as well, that means that if a static electric field existed in the metal there should be an infinite magnetic field. That can't happen and infact no static electric field can exist in a metal in a electrostatic situation (assuming that the metal is immersed in a static electric field).
But if we apply a constant voltage across the metal we can force a static electric field inside the metal. There will be a finite current if σ is finite with an associated finite static magnetic field inside the conductor.
But the impedance formula tells me that even if σ isn't infinite (ideal metal), wave impedance should be zero anyway in DC but that isn't possible as it would mean an infinite magnetic field.
So why doesn't the formula apply anymore? Maybe because to the applied voltage corresponds a superficial net density of charges on the metal that we must take care of in the Maxwell equation so that expression for the impedance is not correct anymore?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Shinji83 said:
But the intrinsic impedance tells me that a static(?) magnetic field will be induced anyway.
It does not tell you that. The equation is true for planar electromagnetic waves only. It is not true for static fields, standing waves, constant current in metals and various other setups. Why should it?

mfb said:
It does not tell you that. The equation is true for planar electromagnetic waves only. It is not true for static fields, standing waves, constant current in metals and various other setups. Why should it?

Thank you for your reply first of all.
My doubt comes from the fact that when the impedance formula is obtained from Maxwell's equations in the phasor/fourier domain for a plane wave solution, ω=0 is a possible frequency.
A sinusoid with zero frequency exists, it's a constant value. A plane wave with zero frequency can still be interpreted as a constant signal/perturbation which propagates with velocity c in vacuum (so both ω and k are zero). There is nothing wrong in assuming ω=0 in the complex factor e.
So why the formula shouldn't apply for sinusoidal plane waves with ω=0?
Yes it diverges into a static field and it doesn't work anymore (hence my doubt) but there's nothing in the derivation that tells me that it's special case.

Shinji83 said:
So why the formula shouldn't apply for sinusoidal plane waves with ω=0?
Try to derive it for waves with ω=0. You'll hit a problem somewhere.
Static fields do not have to satisfy the usual wave equations. All their time-derivatives are zero, which gives more freedom for everything that is multiplied by them.

Likes xareu

What is wave impedance of free space?

Wave impedance of free space is a measure of the resistance of free space to the propagation of electromagnetic waves. It is represented by the symbol Z0 and has a value of approximately 377 ohms.

How is wave impedance of free space calculated?

Wave impedance of free space can be calculated by dividing the magnitude of the electric field by the magnitude of the magnetic field at a given point in space. It can also be calculated using the formula Z0 = sqrt(µ0/ε0), where µ0 is the permeability of free space and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What is the significance of wave impedance of free space?

Wave impedance of free space is a fundamental property of the universe and is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It is also used in the design and analysis of antennas and other electrical systems.

How does wave impedance of free space differ from other types of impedance?

Wave impedance of free space is a characteristic impedance that is present in free space, whereas other types of impedance are typically associated with the properties of a specific material or medium. Wave impedance of free space is also independent of frequency, unlike other types of impedance.

Can wave impedance of free space be changed or manipulated?

No, wave impedance of free space is a constant value that cannot be changed or manipulated. However, it can be altered by the presence of materials or objects, which can affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves through free space.