What happens to the angle between two wires when one current is doubled?

In summary, two long wires with the same mass per meter are hung from the ceiling and have the same current flowing in opposite directions, resulting in the same angle. When one of the currents is doubled, the resulting angle is unknown. Using Newton's Third Law, the forces of tension, gravity, and magnetic force can be considered, but it is uncertain if the angles will remain the same or change in size. Further investigation is needed to determine the effect of doubling the current on the angles created by the wires.
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

We have two very long wires, each with the same mass of 20 grams per meter. They are hung from the ceiling with two identical wires. When they both had the same current flowing to the opposite directions, they created the same angle.
We double the current in one of them, is the angle that they will create (as shown in the picture) will be the same again?

Homework Equations

F=BIL

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't prove it. I am stuck with T1sinθ1=T2sinθ2.
Is there any assumption I am supposed to make? I know that the forces are tension, gravity and magnetic force, and I understand what their directions are.

Physics news on Phys.org
The picture:

Attachments

• ‏‏לכידה.PNG
    ‏‏לכידה.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 404
What does Newton's 3rd law say? What does that imply for the two angles? Will they be equal? Will they be the same or larger than before one of the currents was doubled?

1. What is tension with magnetic force?

Tension with magnetic force refers to the force that is exerted on an object due to the interaction between magnetic fields and electric currents. This force is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of the current.

2. How is tension with magnetic force calculated?

Tension with magnetic force can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B, where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the conductor, and B is the magnetic field strength. This formula is known as the Lorentz force law.

3. What is the direction of tension with magnetic force?

The direction of tension with magnetic force is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of the current. This means that the force will be at a right angle to both the magnetic field and the direction in which the current is flowing.

4. How does tension with magnetic force affect the motion of an object?

Tension with magnetic force can either accelerate or decelerate an object depending on the direction of the force. If the force is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will accelerate the object. If the force is in the opposite direction, it will decelerate the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of tension with magnetic force?

Tension with magnetic force has many real-life applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic levitation systems, which use magnetic force to lift and suspend objects in the air without any physical contact.