What happens to the eigenvalue if an operator acts on a bra?

In summary, when V and A are operators that are hermition and commute with each other, the equation <una|VA-AV|unb>=(anb-ana)<una|V|unb> can be simplified to <una|VA-AV|unb>=0. The sign change in the eigenvalues is due to the minus sign in front of AV in <una|VA-AV|unb>=0. This can be further simplified to (a_na-a_nb)<una|V|unb> thanks to the linearity of inner product. This is used in the derivation for finding energy changes in perturbation theory.
shedrick94
I'm going through a derivation and it shows: (dirac notation)

<una|VA-AV|unb>=(anb-ana)<una|V|unb>

V and A are operators that are hermition and commute with each other and ana and anb are the eigenvalues of the operator A. I imagine it is trivial and possibly doesn't even matter but why does the sign flip when the operator acts on the eigenfunctions.

i.e why is it not <una|VA-AV|unb>=(ana-anb)<una|V|unb>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shedrick94 said:
V and A are operators that are hermition and commute with each other
If V and A commute, then ##\langle u_{na}|VA-AV|u_{nb}\rangle=0##.

blue_leaf77 said:
If V and A commute, then ##\langle u_{na}|VA-AV|u_{nb}\rangle=0##.
Yeh that's part of the proof but that's not what I don't understand. Why do the operations flip the sign of the eigenvalues. I'd have thought <una|VA-AV|unb>=(ana-anb)<una|V|unb>

shedrick94 said:
Why do the operations flip the sign of the eigenvalues.
No, the sign is not relevant. If you are referring to the minus sign in front of ##a_{nb}##, that's because of the minus sign in front of ##AV## in ##
\langle u_{na}|VA-AV|u_{nb}\rangle=0##.

blue_leaf77 said:
No, the sign is not relevant. If you are referring to the minus sign in front of ##a_{nb}##, that's because of the minus sign in front of ##AV## in ##
\langle u_{na}|VA-AV|u_{nb}\rangle=0##.
I don't understand why the signs change at all.

Ah I think I see what you mean, do you mean like this ##
\langle u_{na}|VA-AV|u_{nb}\rangle= \langle u_{na}|VA|u_{nb}\rangle -\langle u_{na}|AV|u_{nb}\rangle = (a_{nb}-a_{na})\langle u_{na}|V|u_{nb}\rangle##?
Well, I don't know where you get this equation but since V and A commute, you can write ##AV-VA## in place of ##VA-AV##, and you will get ##(a_{na}-a_{nb})##.

blue_leaf77 said:
Ah I think I see what you mean, do you mean like this ##
\langle u_{na}|VA-AV|u_{nb}\rangle= \langle u_{na}|VA|u_{nb}\rangle -\langle u_{na}|AV|u_{nb}\rangle = (a_{nb}-a_{na})\langle u_{na}|V|u_{nb}\rangle##?
Well, I don't know where you get this equation but since V and A commute, you can write ##AV-VA## in place of ##VA-AV##, and you will get ##(a_{na}-a_{nb})##.
That's exactly it, thank you :). I didn't realize that you could separate the operators out. It's part of the derivation for finding the energy changes in perturbation theory.

shedrick94 said:
I didn't realize that you could separate the operators out.
I could because an inner product, ##\langle u_1|O|u_2\rangle##, is a linear operation.

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the result of an operation on a vector. It is often used in linear algebra to describe the behavior of linear transformations.

2. What is a bra?

A bra is a vector in the dual space of a vector space. It is typically represented as a row vector and is used to represent the linear functionals of the space.

3. How does an operator act on a bra?

An operator acts on a bra by multiplying it on the left side. This results in a new bra with modified coefficients.

4. What happens to the eigenvalue if an operator acts on a bra?

If an operator acts on a bra, the resulting eigenvalue will also be modified. The new eigenvalue will depend on the specific operator and the original eigenvalue of the bra.

5. Can the eigenvalue of a bra change if an operator acts on it?

Yes, the eigenvalue of a bra can change if an operator acts on it. This is because the operator will modify the coefficients of the bra, resulting in a new eigenvalue.