Operators and vectors in infinite dimensional vector spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the different formulations of quantum mechanics, specifically Schrodinger wave mechanics and Dirac's bra-ket formulation. The states of a system are represented by wavefunctions and operators, and can be built from the position and linear momentum operators. The discrete/continuous problem refers to the eigenfunctions of an operator and not the space of the state. The bra-ket formulation does not require a matrix representation and is compatible with the wave function representation. In a continuous vector space, the matrix representation is not possible and the vectors and operators are described using abstract symbols.
fog37
Hello Everyone. I am searching for some clarity on this points. Thanks for your help:

Based on Schrodinger wave mechanics formulation of quantum mechanics, the states of a system are represented by wavefunctions (normalizable or not) and operators (the observables) by instructions i.e. operations build from ##x,y,z## and the partial derivates like ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}## etc. All (or almost) all operators can be built from the position operator and the linear momentum operator. All this is true regardless of the vector space being finite or infinite dimensional, discrete or continuous, correct?

According to Dirac (bra and ket) formulation instead, the system's state are viewed as vectors which can be described as row or column vectors, containing components, and the operators are matrices, with indexed elements, only if the vector space is finite/infinite dimensional and discrete. What if the vector space was finite/infinite dimensional and continuous? How would operators be represented in a continuous vector space? The matrix representation would not be possible. The vector would just be described as ##|\Psi>## using the ket notation but could not have a row or column representation, correct?

thanks,
fog37

Physics news on Phys.org
I may have misinterpreted what you're saying but, from what I know, the discrete/continuous problem refers to the eigenfunction of an operator, not to the space of the state. I think you are making some confusion. Last year I studied this stuff on "introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths: the chapter on Dirac's formalism is quite short and easy to understand. I think you should look it up (or some other books on the matter). Not to be rude, but I think it will take quite long to answer your post and make some clarity.

Ric

Ps:
fog37 said:
the states of a system are represented by wavefunctions (normalizable or not)
a non-normalizable wavefunction has no physical significance per se so it doesn't represent a "real" state , but a linear combination of non-normalizable wavefunctions could represent a state with physical significance.

fog37 said:
According to Dirac (bra and ket) formulation instead, the system's state are viewed as vectors which can be described as row or column vectors, containing components, and the operators are matrices, with indexed elements

The bra-ket formulation does not imply or require the existence of a matrix representation. Dirac used that representation for convenience, not because it was required. In fact the bra-ket formulation is equally compatible with the wave function representation you describe. The bra-ket formulation is a more abstract formulation that does not require any specific representation; that's a key reason why it's so useful.

Thank you to both.

I guess vector spaces can be finite or infinite dimensional but calling them discrete or continuous is probably incorrect. As dRic2 says, the bases in a vector space can be countable or uncountable (continuous) with countable meaning that the basis vectors in each basis can be put in one-one correspondence with the positive integer numbers.

I found the Griffith's chapter on Dirac notation which state on page 160 that if a state lives in a ##N##-dimensional vector space it can be represented as column of ##N## components and operators take the form of ordinary ##N\times N## matrices. This can be extended to the case when N becomes infinite. But if the vector space is continuous, the matrix representation is not possible and I wondered if there was some other mathematical representation I am not aware of or we just describe the vectors and operators just with their abstract symbol...

1. What is an operator in an infinite dimensional vector space?

An operator in an infinite dimensional vector space is a mathematical function that maps one vector to another vector in the same vector space. It can be thought of as a linear transformation that acts on the vectors in the space.

2. What is a vector in an infinite dimensional vector space?

A vector in an infinite dimensional vector space is a mathematical object that contains an infinite number of components. It can be represented as a list of numbers or as a function that maps real numbers to values in the vector space.

3. How are operators and vectors related in an infinite dimensional vector space?

In an infinite dimensional vector space, operators act on vectors to produce new vectors. This relationship can be represented as a matrix multiplication, where the operator is represented by a matrix and the vector is represented as a column matrix.

4. What are some examples of operators in infinite dimensional vector spaces?

Some examples of operators in infinite dimensional vector spaces include differentiation and integration operators, Fourier transforms, and matrix operators. These operators have different properties and applications, but they all act on vectors in an infinite dimensional vector space.

5. Why are infinite dimensional vector spaces important in science?

Infinite dimensional vector spaces are important in science because many physical systems and mathematical models require an infinite number of dimensions to accurately describe them. These vector spaces allow for more complex and accurate calculations and representations of these systems, leading to a deeper understanding of the world around us.